egg!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kacey52, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Kacey52

Kacey52 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2012
    Well it finally happened. I went to let the ducks out this morning and there was an egg :) Now, what's the chances it's fertile and still good (it's cold to the touch)? Do I need to supplement or change their food at all? When should I expect more and how many? TIA!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I can't remember what you're feeding, so don't know how to answer the food question except to say laying ducks need plenty of calcium. I also like to give more greens while my ducks are laying.

First eggs, from what I am told, are not the best for hatching. Wait a few weeks for that. It should be fine for eating.

Congratulations!

3. Kacey52

Jul 27, 2012
    Oh I guess knowing what I'm feeding now might be helpful huh?! lol Actually I'll have to check. I get it in 50lb bags and there's not much marked on it. It's some kind of standard pelleted duck feed. Do I need to feed the drake seperate than the hens?
    Thank you!! I'm excited :)

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There are a bunch of ways we all try to do right by laying ducks and drakes. I am currently making some compromises. I had read that with laying ducks, and drakes, best to use non-layer feed with oyster shell on the side. And in my perfect world, we would be all set.

Except Romy, and sometimes some runners, don't work that way. I have to pop up the calcium quite a bit when they are laying. No problem until . . . . drum-roll - - - the arrival of Bean, our first and only drake.

After consultation with my wonderful vet, we agreed that for a number of reasons, Bean will be eating more layer feed than ideal. Right now he is kept with his two buff girls in side by side pens because of his obsession for Romy.... long story.... so that group gets mostly Mazuri maintenance, with a little layer, and oyster shell on the side. Both girls are laying just fine, and they have quite an appetite for oyster shell!

The rest of the flock gets layer pellets, oyster shell, calcium gluconate three times a week in their water, and Romy gets special treats with prescription Neocalglucon. Oh, yeah. Simple life.[​IMG]

So, I hope some of this gives you ideas on how you want to work it with your duckies.

5. Kacey52

Jul 27, 2012
    Wow! Thanks for your reply. I'll have to do some research, that sounds really complicated! Could I keep feeding the same food and just offer oyster shell on the side? Drake won't eat it? Sorry if I seem clueless, but honestly, I pretty much am lol. How would I know if my girls aren't getting enough calcium? I read to expect 5-12 eggs, then will she take a break? Not sure how it works when they're not sitting on them.

6. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I have used a pelleted layer food mixed with scratch for my ducks. That way they get enough protein and calcium, but also enough fat/energy for keeping warm. Once it gets warmer I take out the scratch so they don't get fat. My feed store also carries a brand called bar-ale that has lay-pak which is lay pellets mixed with cracked corn and oyster shell...that is perfect so you don't have to mix.
    Worrying about the drakes...they aren't producing eggs so they won't be eating as much food as your hens anyhow. Sure the balance of minerals is probably not ideal, but my drakes live so long I'd be hard pressed to seperate them to feed...just not necessary in my opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by