Egg101

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wilkey44, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilkey44

wilkey44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    since I am not sure people really know about the egg I will do this EGG101 I asked what the worlds greatest incubator is and I got a whole lot of wrong answers and it kinda explains why I get "that's kind of irrelevant" or "So this is pretty irrelevant" when I try to help people understand about the egg. By all definitions an Egg is the worlds best incubator. I

If you got a Flu shot this year that flu strain was incubated in a chicken egg and you got a shot of egg white in your arm.

Inside of the egg is everything something needs for is growing to survive form at least 1 day until it hatches, eggs have been providing life to everything from the smallest ant to the largest bird over millions of years

that box you and I call an incubator is just a box and all it does like a broody hen is provide heat for the egg in areas where the weather doesnt allow for a stable temp but there are places on this earth that a chicken egg can be placed in the sand and it will hatch on its own without a hen or humans help with the right conditions an egg can keeps its own stable temp.

Humidity this is my biggest pet peave the higher the humidity the higher the egg temp is. Water hold heat and it takes longer then the air its in to cool down, if I have a hatcher that is 70% humidity and the air temp goes to say 103 I have heated the water around the egg to 103 that water is going to stay at 103 even though the air temp may say 100 and the lower the humidity the less water there is to heat up and the quicker it cools down and the more water in the air it creates a barrier around the egg and this prevents the moisture from leaving the egg.

I know if I was going to take my first breath I would like to have air that is only 40% water instead of 70+% water

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I would explain the mistakes in your reasoning but you would just call me stupid an get your thread deleted again. [​IMG]

3. DMSrabbit

DMSrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I don't even know what to say...

4. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    Your original question was confusing because we assumed you meant an incubator to hatch eggs! not flu vaccinations. and i've tried (not on purpose) to have something hatch with low humidity and it does NOT work. the chicks can't even hatch.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  5. wilkey44

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    this was egg101 if I thought that you were smarter it would have been egg102

and Egg is in itself what we call an incubator it doesnt matter what is in it, An egg is a self contained container to provide life, in a chicken egg if the conditions are right a chick can hatch without ever being touched by a hen or human

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Ok, you are wrong, wrong, wrong! Egg innoculated with virus for vaccine must be maintained at a controlled temp. and humidity. The egg can not do it on it's own. The virus replicates in the cells of the growing embryo. Attenuated viral particles are harvested, generally killed made into vaccine and then injected. You are not vaccinated with "egg whites." Where do you create your misinformation and partial truths?

7. Savannah Poultry

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    you just keep going with this no matter how many times you've been proved wrong. And I wouldn't judge the intelligence of people if you want to make a point [​IMG] whether its right or wrong.

8. wilkey44

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    An Aligator puts her eggs in a bunch of weeds on top of a dirt pile and never touchs them until they hatch. A turtle puts them under ground a sea turtle put her eggs in the sand and never sees them again. A bambo shark drops her egg on sea weed and swims off a fly drops her eggs off on meat and wow they all just make it fine without any outside help

the flu virus was only a point to be made and an egg for 100s of millions of years has been the best incubator personally I could never see T-rex being a broody mom

and I will say this if you want to keep killing chicks I really dont care I took the chance and tried at 70% humidity and lost chicks and then dropped it down to 40% and havent lost one and no shrink wrap when I take chicks out as soon as they are free of the egg either

9. Savannah Poultry

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    I don't kill chicks I have good hatch rates. and I do 40% humidity until lockdown then go up to 60%. This is backyard CHICKENS so of course people are going to assume you are talking about CHICKEN eggs. and you don't consider weather an outside force? if all of sudden the temp dropped than all those turtle and alligator eggs wouldn't hatch. Yes they are amazing things but they can't create the necessary conditions on their own. the mother still had to put them in the right spot.

10. wilkey44

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    Quote:it doesnt matter if it is a fly egg or an Ostrich egg, every egg is exactly the same just different sizes and a mother putting an egg in a spot or covering with weeds, dirt, sand or open water does not make an incubator the egg itself has to be able to survive and it was designed to do just that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by