Eggber Pecker is sick

tripsand1

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 2, 2012
I went out to see the chickens this morning and I noticed our female leghorn, less than 8 months old, is sick. She is usually very active. She is standing off by herself, her poop is watery, she's not eating and is lethargic. She was fine yesterday. We had her in the back yard (the dogs were put up and they were supervised) and nobody saw her eat anything weird. None of the others seem sick. She is drinking a lot of water. I noticed with any other chickens we had that died, they were by the water bowl when we found them and that's were she's sticking. Should I keep letting her have water or take it away. I'm wondering if she might drown herself if she drinks too much. Kind of new to the chicken thing. I have her separated from the others right now.

Could it be she is backed up. She is a big eater and seems to me like she's very big. She is at least 9 pounds, probably more. Any help would be appreciated. My daughter is going to be VERY sad when she gets homes. Hoping we can help Eggbert. Thanks.

I've had Leghorns and I can assure you that they rarily get over 5-6 pounds if that. It sounds like you have a cornish cross meat bird or a big fat White Rock hen or Rhode Island white hen.
Cornish crosses are usually slaughtered for meat purposes at about the 6th to 8th month. They get too heavy and are prone to health problems. In any case, whichever bird you have, she may be eggbound. Try soaking her in a container of warm water up to her sides and while she's in the water, gently massage her underside for about 20 minutes. Hopefully she'll lay the egg, if that's the problem.

Last edited:
We had her in warm water in the bathtub for about twenty minutes. Now I have her in the laundry room with the heat lamp on her. She seems a little cold. She is not eating or drinking. We got some antibiotics from the feed store and electroylytes, but it is based on weight, not measurements, so I will need to also go get a scale. She has never laid an egg yet. One of our other chickens laid the first one a couple of days ago. They are just about at egg laying age right now. Her crown is kind of a bluish color. Usually it's pretty bright red. Could it maybe be a respitory thing?

I hate to say this but if her comb is going purple it may be due to respiratory problems - have you checked her recently for mites/lice to ensure it is not due one of these issues..? it may be prudent to isolate her for the time being...do treat her for mites/lice if you find any - also treat the main flock.

So sorry you are going through this!

Suzie

Bluish color could possibly indicate a lack of oxygen. Maybe it's due to her weight, especially if she's a cornish cross. What type/name of antibiotic did you get? For respiratory issues there's usually wheezing, gurgling, rattling, runny nostrils, bubbles in the eyes, facial swelling.

She just died. How would you know if it was mites. They don't sit around picking at themselves or scratching so it doesn't seem like that type of thing. It seemed more like a respiratory thing. Should I go ahead and give the other chickens the antibiotic in case it's something they can all get?

She just died. How would you know if it was mites. They don't sit around picking at themselves or scratching so it doesn't seem like that type of thing. It seemed more like a respiratory thing. Should I go ahead and give the other chickens the antibiotic in case it's something they can all get?
Mites look like pepper, there are red mites as well. They all move slowly and suck blood causing anemia and eventually death in a chicken.
I wouldnt give any antibiotics to the others, because it may not have been a respiratory issue. Normally with respiratory problems they are wheezing, gurgling, rattling, facial swelling, bubbles in the eyes, snotty nostrils. Here's a link for lice/mite identification for you:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140
Also a link to respiratory diseases in poultry:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom