Eggbid auction....why??

halo

Got The Blues
14 Years
Nov 22, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I didnt know where to put this question, Im sure its in the wrong forum.

There an auction on eggbid...

http://www.eggbid.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1227293416

So Im reading the whole wordy auction, and this phrase jumps out at me...

**IF LOCAL PICKUP, ADD $5.00 TO THE PURCHASE PRICE AT THE END OF THE AUCTION**

What??? They charge you $5 if you pick up the eggs? Makes me wonder if they arent padding the shipping cost to make extra money.

That's a common tactic on ebay. You don't pay fees on the shipping, so people pad the shipping costs to get some extra "fee free" dough. Wonder if eggbid has a similar set up?

That's insane and only works when people are willing to pay it
idunno.gif

Thinking back to the days I sold rabbits locally, I'd have people call to schedule an "appointment" to pick up their bunnies and, as an example, to many, a 3:00 pickup time meant any time between perhaps 2:00 and 5:00. And usually it was on on days when I had a dozen other things I had to do, meaning I was tied to the house waiting for these bozos to turn off their TV, get off their butts and drive across town two hours late.

I've sold countless books on internet book search sites and other items on Ebay and never had a local pickup, but if I did, I'd think about adding a fee like that to my price. My business, being internet based, gave me the luxury of working at my own schedule, checking email in the evenings, packing late at night, hitting the Post Office for shipping early in the morning and going fishing or bicycling or even picking up some consulting projects during the day. Having to schedule my day around someone coming to my home to pick up an order that my business model says should have been shipped by mail has a cash value to me if it interrupts my schedule. And that's worth more than 5 bucks to me.

I'm going to guess that the fee is meant to discourage such pick-ups.

Wayne

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom