eggbound banty PIC IS KINDA GRAPHICFOR WEAK STOMACHES

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tacampbell1973, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Tacampbell1973

Tacampbell1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    Hello,
    I just survived my first eggbound eggsperience and am looking for help. My white cochin was acting funny today when I was outside. Just standing in one place. ON a hunch I brought her inside to watch. She was extremely lethargic and her bottom and feathers were damp but with clear fluid. I suspected an unexcreted egg but wasn't sure as she lays most every dayt. also should mention that I found a wierd egg yesterday but have four laying hens and three are banty. One is her twin. Egg was long andd skinny but fully shelled. Anywho, put her on a heating pad for an hour as she was acting wierd. No kidding, she pooped out a shell-less egg in a clear membrane. Got a pic will upload here. Any advice for now, she is drinking finally like crazy, but scared it will happen again. How can I up her calcium as I am far from store right now. Love my bird don't want to lose her. Thankyou[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  2. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    You can crush up some egg shells and put that out for her to eat until you can get to store and get oyster shells. Glad she was able to pass the egg and is feeling better.

3. Tacampbell1973

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    thank you. she ismy favorite (today[​IMG]) I cant imagine losing her,or any of them.

4. Mahlzeit

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    :)

5. Tacampbell1973

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    Wait a minute, I HAVE oyster shells. Duh. I havent been giving them to the chickens because they freerange all day and like an idiot I just assumed theyb were getting enough calcium with the laying pellets and bugs andx such. just gave her a plate of shells to gnaw on though. thanks again.

6. Tacampbell1973

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    All I have to say though, is thank you god that i found her when I did. I can't imagine having to bury my beloved pets. I know some day I will but thankfully today is not that someday. And the change in her since passing that "thing" is like night and day. Before, she was makeing a wheezing high pitched squeak instead of her normal clucking, now she is back to normal talking and drinking water like crazy and picking at her bowl of oyster shells. I went around a minute ago and doled out oyster shells to all the chickens and the guineas too. Very important now.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  7. Mahlzeit

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    It's been 50/50 for me with egg bound chickens. Glad she's well.

8. Tacampbell1973

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    Wow I'm almost scared to ask but have you lost any yet? Is is just the low calcium that causes it or are some girls just more prone to it. By the way that is a beautiful bird on your avatar. I just got my first Polish this year at auction and she is a riot! Great hairdo and an even better personality. Thanks again.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My Polish hen ""Angel". what a character.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You can give her a human calcium pill, that will help restore her calcium reserves.

-Kathy

10. Tacampbell1973

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    I had heard that. Believe it or not, I don't have a singlecalcium pill onhand.Now ifI was atmy mom and dads they have every vitamin and med known to man,mymedicine chest is sadly underprovisioned. I did give her oyster shell which she happily chomped on for a while. Also she drank a lot of water and had diarreah three times yesterday. Today she is solid. still no egg yet. I am leaving her inside with me until I see an egg. I hot pad her once a day for about 10 minutes on and 10 off then 10 moreon. Sorry about the spacing, I spilled coffee on my laptop awhile ago and spacebar sticks.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by