1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggbound Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dawniepooh1, May 9, 2016.

1. Dawniepooh1

Dawniepooh1 New Egg

May 6, 2016
    Not sure if there is a post on this yet, and I am sure I will see one. I have had chickens for 3 years now, lost a few gained a few. Its all in learning. My "Carmen" is a Rhodie and has been eggbound for about a month now. We have given her a bath with epsom salt and hot water for about 2 weeks now, I should have started as soon as I noticed. But hey, even after 3 years, I am still learning. ...We have kept her in water for 20 minutes and massaged her vent every day for 2 weeks. Nothing is working. I know she is tired and needs extra Calcium. She eats Purena- Layena (which is full of calcium), and has Oyester shell available at all times. I know I should get Calcium tablets for her and I havent did that yet. I am very lost and not giving up on her but I don't know what to do anymore. Any input would be great!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  3. Dawniepooh1

Dawniepooh1 New Egg

May 6, 2016
    [​IMG]

She is about a year old. She is limping,swollen and red belly. She is exhausted from all the pushing and i think the egg is stuck sideways from the feel of it. She lays 1-2 eggs however, every other day.

4. Nicole3350

Nicole3350 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2016
    Michigan
    [​IMG]
    What would cause an egg to look like this?

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by