Eggbound Coturnix and Wheezing Coturnix!!!!...Someone Help Please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Attack Chicken, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Tonight I noticed one of my cinny hens walking very low to the ground. I believe earlier in the day she was fine but then I seen her kind of walking really low and kind of waddling in the pen. She seem to be a good weight and I didn't see anything under her feathers....She's out in her pen with 7 others for tonight. What could be wrong with my girl?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  2. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Sounds like she's egg bound. Seperate her from the others...with mine, any hint of weakness will bring on a vicious attack from the others. I've had success with soaking the egg bound hens in warm water...not the whole bird...just the bottom half...a few times a day. Keep her quiet & provide a heat light. It's about all you can do that I know of.

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You can also take a warm cloth and pat the area...do you feel an egg there? It would be bad if the egg breaks within. I hope all goes well with your hen![​IMG]

4. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I believe I got 7 eggs yesterday so could she still be egg bound? I'm thinking she might have done something with her leg because now she has a little limp. She's still eating and drinking but resting quiet a bit. About a week ago I did get an egg that I think is a double yolker...could that have hurt her at all?

5. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Check her feet, too. I have one coturnix hen with bumblefoot, and she walks like that.

6. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ok I went out and checked her and it does feel like theirs an egg in there, I also noticed one of my other hens kinda of gasping for breath almost like she swallowed her food wrong but it acting normal otherwise. I am really worried about these 2. I've never dealt with an egg problem and now this and now one that is kinda of gasping like I said. I do have 1 or 2 I think with bumblefoot and will treat those aswell and move the eggbound and otherone in the house for tonight. I think the one that is gasping has bumblefoot.

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Do you house the quail on wire? I unfortunately house my coturnix on wire right now but am building pens so they can be on ground (better for their feet). I have noticed one of my hens has bumblefoot and it breaks my heart. I moved her and her buddies to a guinea pig cage right now and soft bedding. All the other 200 have been checked and they are ok phew! But I am working harder on getting their pens done.

8. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ok I have the eggbound hen in and my little tibetan hen in. She is kind of heezing/gasping but is up and walking around. She's kind of snezzing and twisting her head a little. What should I give her?

ETA: There is nothing in her nose and nothing is coming out of her beak and nose what could be wrong with her? She just started this is the last few hours. Please help me [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  9. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Well, when you don't know what the specific problem is, I've always had good luck with:

1) Heat, keep the bird very warm, 90 to 95 degrees.

2) Electrolyte solution, use a syringe barrel or eye dropper to drop it into the beak if necessary.

3) Antibiotics. I've used a combination of Duramyacin (Tetracycline) and either a cephalosporin or a penicillin before.

4) Force feed if necessary. A slurry of high protein gamebird mash and boiled egg is good. Put it all into a food processor and blender, and add water until it's the consistency of yogurt or pudding. Use the barrel of a syringe again (NO NEEDLE) to drop it into the beak. Hard to do at times, but it can help them if they won't eat on their own.

10. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:Ok I have the Duramyacin but how much per gallon of water? Also I have penicillin tablets and how much of a tablet for the quail or per gallon?

Also on have I have Tylan 50, polyvistol, and some vit e

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by