Eggbound coturnix

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TerraLinda, Nov 3, 2014.

1. TerraLinda

TerraLinda Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2014
    One of my coturnix hens has been eggbound for several days. I keep her indoors, and give her calcium shots and warm bath twice a day, it doesn't help. She just sits there, fluffed up in a ball, like a kiwi. Drinks very little, barely eats, unless I give her mealworms - then she comes back to life briefly, devours the mealworms, and then sits again. The problem is, she doesn't seem to make any effort to pass the egg. I tried to put mineral oil in her vent, and massage her carefully. She totally freaks out screams and fights me, but no movement in the vent.

Is there anything else a novice can do to help? (I won't attempt to break and extract the egg, no way I can do it right).

Is there any chance that she will pass the egg eventually, and when I should draw the line and cull the bird?

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You can check a quail with your pinky finger instead of your index finger. The egg will be stuck within the first inch or so of the bird.

If you do feel an egg, soak her in a warm bath for 10 or 15 mins. See if you can get some crushed up Tums into her. These two things will usually move the most stuck egg.

How is she today?

4. TerraLinda

TerraLinda Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2014
    The poor girl died last night. I guess she got too weak from almost not eating, and just collapsed. Warm baths and calcium globuonade syrup didn't help at all! Probably I noticed the problem and started treating her too late.

Thanks for your responses anyway! I had to try to save her.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    So sorry you lost your baby. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by