Eggbound day 3

Eric R

Songster
6 Years
Jul 12, 2017
Magnolia, TX
I have a hen that is eggbound and tomorrow will be day 3. I've tried warm baths with Epsom salt, extra calcium and mineral oil. I've even tried helping to work it out with no success. At what point do you try to collapse the egg and at what point or signs do you look for to determine it's time to cull?

How do you know she is egg bound? Can you feel an egg? Does it have a firm shell? Is she able to pass any poop at all? If she is definitely egg bound and can’t poop, it will surely kill her without intervention. If she were mine, I’d attemp the egg extraction now. However, I don’t have any experience doing this myself. This is an urgent situation, so I’ll tag a few people. (I’ve been trying to reserve my tags for urgent matters.) @rebrascora
@casportpony @azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @KikisGirls @aart

Have you felt the egg by inserting a finger into her vent? Is she able to poop? How old is she? It could be possible that you are feeling a lash egg, which is a mass of egg matter from internal laying. Those can be small or very large. Shell-less eggs are hard to pass, so that could be the problem. If you are positive she is egg bound, I would seek a vet. They can vaccum the egg out without breaking the hard shell and risking damage to the vent. If you have to attempt this yourself, make sure that you get all of the egg contents and shell out.

Egg binding may occur because of previous vent damage, too large of an egg, dehydration, and a lack of calcium. Tums, Rolaids, human calcium tablets, and crushed egg shells are food sources of calcium. Give plenty of water. Placing the hen in a warm moist environment may help in passing the egg.

All good suggestions by above folks. Be sure to discern between an egg which can be palpated by inserting a gloved finger in the vent, and abdominal swelling/ascites which would show up as a distension which can be quite firm in lower abdomen.

Your treatment choice depends on whether she is pet or livestock and how much money you have available to invest. I would cull if she does not pass the egg. Others would take her to a vet.

I can't add much to the pretty thorough advice already offered.

By this time your little hen is exhausted and likely dehydrated. No more soaks as that's adding to the stress. And you really need to get some electrolytes into her. Give her Gatoraid if you don't have any other.

She needs moist heat, so I like a heating pad on the lowest setting with a damp bath towel over it. Place it in a crate and install the hen on it and leave her to rest. Have the electrolyte water in easy access.

If you can't see the egg, she needs time and quiet to let it move down. If you can see the egg and it's pushing against the tissues of the vent, but it's not able to push the rest of the way, with a lubricated gloved finger, gently slip your finger under the tissue, freeing the egg. Spraying warm water on the vent can keep it moist, and that can also help this process.

Don't collapse the egg except as a last resort.

How did you apply the extra calcium?
How old is bird and how long has she been laying?
Is her belly swollen?
Sorry, I don't have any solutions, never dealt with this.

New layer. Only a couple months if that. Belly not swollen but she's a fluffy brahma so not exactly sure. Does seem to have a fever from what I can feel.

New layer. Only a couple months if that. Belly not swollen but she's a fluffy brahma so not exactly sure. Does seem to have a fever from what I can feel.
You'd have to feel below her vent and between her legs, comparing to another bird can help.

How did you apply the extra calcium?
How much and what kind of calcium did you give her?

Back
Top Bottom