Eggbound / Egg Peritonitis in Pekin Duck

cursocale

Chirping
Mar 7, 2017
Hi there,

I have a Pekin Cross who has been very unwell since this morning. After reading a lot and through my own experience, I suspected that she had egg peritonitis / possibly egg bound. After following the advice of the vet and having her on a heat mat inside, she was thoroughly miserable and panting. So I looked online and decided to give her some epsom salt baths, which she clearly enjoyed and gave her relief. I was scared to do too much abdominal massage in case I broke an egg inside her (I suspected she already had one), but I did some and I felt a soft shelled egg in there.

Long story short, after many baths and some massage, she just passed two soft shelled eggs in quick succession - both with small holes in them, but it didn't look like much had leaked out.

Her poos are looking more normal now (they were white and watery with yellow gloopy bits in them).

However, she hasn't really perked up. I can't feel any more eggs in there and I'm not sure what to do for her now? I thought the relief would be instant, so I guess I'm worried there is a broken egg in there somewhere.

The vet advised me NOT to give her antibiotics, but I'm unsure why that wouldn't be a good idea as a precaution?

I have one tablet of amoxyclav 500 here with me and am seriously considering giving it to her just in case. Are there any issues with this? She will be going to the avian vet in the morning.

Also, how do I prevent this from happening again?

She is a very precious pet duck, handraised from hatching.

Cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom