1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggbound Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CascadiaRiver, Mar 19, 2016.

1. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    If our hen is eggbound could we be able to see, touch or feel it between the pubic bones? or would it be a deeper inspection?

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    If she's got an egg stuck, you should be able to insert your fingertip into her vent (lube, please) and you'll feel it.

Treatment is a soak in warm water mixed with Epsom salt. There's no dose.... just pour some in. Submerge her lower half and let her enjoy the chicken spa.

The magnesium will be absorbed and help her muscles relax. She will hopefully pass the egg on her own after a 10-15 min soak.

If she still doesn't pass it, you can insert a syringe and needle into the egg, suck the inside out, gently crunch the egg up, and (with lots of lube) remove the shell.

I hope she passes it on her own if she's got anything stuck!

MrsB

3. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Thank you so much for your information! <3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by