1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggbound help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bayouchica, Mar 26, 2007.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    One of my Buff Orps Goldie, I noticed is acting eggbound, I've soaked the poor girl,& she trying to push the egg out.Is now laying on her side & won't eat.She'll drink a little V&E water,but that's it.
    My question is if I need to check her vent which way is a hen's egg tract?I don't want to hurt her.

Thanks! Miriam

2. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
  3. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Thanks for the link Marion, but so sad to say she just died in my arms a few minutes ago. [​IMG]

Miriam

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG]
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! HUGS

5. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Thanks Carri, I'm still crying like a baby... I got thru digging a hole out in the garden fixing to put her back to mother earth...[​IMG]

6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Oh my gosh Miriam, That is just terrible. I am really sorry that happened to you. Life would be so much better if they could tell us they were not feeling right. [​IMG]

7. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss Miriam... [​IMG]... losing a sweet one is never easy and you and yours are in my prayers.

8. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I am so sorry for your loss!! I am sitting here crying for you and your dear little Goldie. [​IMG] Is this something that happens very often?

9. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Thank you all so much. It's sure nice to have people that can understand how hard it is. [​IMG]
    I'm waiting for hubby to call & give him the news...
    steffpeck, I've had chickens for three years & had maybe only five hens eggbound.There have been several times I've had hens with soft shell eggs & just soaked them in warm water & the egg came out. Goldie was two years olds & always laid jumbo eggs. They get oyster shells,I even bake their egg shells & give them back to them. I don't understand why.
    I guess alot of it was my fault for not noticing sooner or maybe it was her time to go.I've been working alot in the garden & never knew till it was too late.Mark that as live & learn.

Yall have a good evening, Miriam

10. Jillylam

Jillylam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    Kingwood, NJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by