1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Eggbound hen, don't feel an egg, need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ace6175, Dec 8, 2013.

1. ace6175

ace6175 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    My 2 1/2 year old RIR/BA mix hen has been trying to lay an egg for at least a day. I brought her into the house last night when she was hunched up in the nest box instead of roosting.
    Since then, I have given her a little mixture of ground calcium supplement, yogurt & honey on her beak. She has access to food & water, but isn't eating. I gave her a warm bath last night, and this morning lubed her vent & tried to feel for an egg. Her abdomen feels full, but I don't feel a lump like an egg. She is pushing & pushing but nothing comes out (except a little watery poop). I'm really getting worried, especially since she isn't eating. Has anyone had experience with this? Any advice would be helpful.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you can't feel an egg in the normal spot she's not egg bound. Do some research on ascites, internal laying, oviduct cancer and EYP, any of those could cause the symptoms you're seeing. Check again for a shell-less egg, but be gentle, 'cause you don't want to break one of those.

FWIW, I have given mine whole calcium pills, 500-1000mg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. ace6175

May 9, 2009
    How do you get a large supplement down their throats?

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Open mouth, insert pill and massage down into crop. FYI, I have done this with Old English Game Bantams.

-Kathy

5. ace6175

May 9, 2009
    Gave her a calcium/magnesium supplement, got some water in her, tried to feel if there is an egg, but didn't want to push too hard.......didn't feel anything. She is still "contracting" trying to pass something. Is there anything else I can try? I'm just letting her rest now.

6. ace6175

May 9, 2009
    If anyone has any other advice, please let me know. I have now jabbed her with a needle to drain in case she is full of fluid, just a little blood came out. Another warm bath & gyne exam - nothing. Not sure she will make it through the night.[​IMG]

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How much blood came out?

-Kathy

8. ace6175

May 9, 2009
    just a couple drops...

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I've only drained a couple successfully and one died while I tried, so I can't offer any advice on how to do it.

-Kathy

10. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    I won't drain her, which is very risky.

For example, my dog had hematoma that a lot of blood in his ear because he shook his ear so much. I wanted to take him to a vet to fix( drain) immediately. But it was not necessary.
    A lot of people take their dogs to the vet to drain , but more likely come back ,and also be greater of getting infection as well.
    I heard that a vet said that just leave it alone, it will be gone in a few weeks naturally. That is true. My dog's ear went back to almost normal. He needs another several days to heal completely.

For the problem, I see that as a kind of same thing.
    Let her fight against infections by her immune system to flush out the fluids. By giving her food and antibiotics.

That is my thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by