Eggbound hen layed double shelled egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gypsyschixs, Aug 21, 2011.

1. gypsyschixs

gypsyschixs New Egg

Aug 20, 2011
    I just added some new laying hens to my flock on Wednesday. Yesterday I noticed one was showing signs of being egg bound. After about 15 min in the warm bath she layed a double shelled egg. This evening I found her again with her tail down and more white discharge. Can this be a genetic problem or is it brought on by stress of the new enviroment. Any recommendations on how I should continue.

2. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Poor girl. Not sure if it's genetics but I think some girls are predisposed to having these problems especially if they're older hens. Good luck with her. I hope it works itself out [​IMG]

And [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  3. gypsyschixs

gypsyschixs New Egg

Aug 20, 2011
    [​IMG]

heres the picture of this weird egg. The outer shell was like soft leather kind of like a turtle egg.

4. snaphu

snaphu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Langley
    Quote:what were the "signs" or symptoms of "being egg bound" that you saw?

I have a 2 yr. old Australorpe hen with a HUGE soft bulbous squishy mass just below her "vent"... could this be a symptom of "egg-bound"????

she isn't acting like she is ill, I've soaked her in warm epsom salts with tea tree oil and put her in a dog crate to watch over her...

[​IMG]

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Your Australorp could be laying internally [​IMG]

6. snaphu

snaphu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Langley
    I checked on her, and she had layed an egg??? totally normal looking egg [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by