Eggbound hen

alliemegb

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2016
Maryland
I noticed my hen was egg bound 2 days ago. I immediately started giving her epsom salt soak and rubbing her abdomen for about 20 minutes every few hours. She is still eggbound and she is very swollen. I've been also trying to give her calcium through water and food but she only drinks and eats a little each time. I do not want to loose my hen but am stumped on what to do next to help her pass the egg. Shouldn't she have passed the egg by now? Is there anything else I can do?

Hi! I'm so sorry to hear about your hen! Could you give us some more info? What does her poop look like? Is her abdomen lumpy, squishy or hard? How is her breathing and coloring? I'm sorry I don't have a hard and fast answer. are you absolutely sure she's egg bound? There are other conditions that can cause a swollen abdomen.you could always lubricate your finger and check in her vent to be. absolutely sure. I hope you find answers soon!

Her poop is watery diarrhea the only time I notice her pooping is right after a soak. She is lethargic and just lays down when she does get up walk around her legs soon give out and she just lays there. She barley will eat or drink. Her abdomen is not hard and I don't remember it being lumpy I would have to say it felt more squishy. When I go home I will feel again. Her comb and ears have whitened.

I am not positive she's egg bound because I have never had this problem before but after doing some research I thought her symptoms fitted with her being eggbound. If you think it is something else and have diagnosed her wrong please chime in

Hi! I'm so sorry to hear about your hen! Could you give us some more info? What does her poop look like? Is her abdomen lumpy, squishy or hard? How is her breathing and coloring? I'm sorry I don't have a hard and fast answer. are you absolutely sure she's egg bound? There are other conditions that can cause a swollen abdomen.you could always lubricate your finger and check in her vent to be. absolutely sure. I hope you find answers soon!
I am keeping her just in a nest box with food and water Latley she's been more alert but yesterday she was closing her eyes and laying her head down on the ground.

Do you know when she last laid an egg?
Does she feel unusually heavy when you pick her up?
I'm wondering if she might be laying internally rather than egg bound. Laying internally is where eggs released from the ovary, fail to travel into the oviduct and fall into the abdominal cavity instead. It is quite a common problem and can go on for several months. The mass of eggs builds up inside them and fluid builds up around them (ascites) and puts pressure on the heart and lungs and digestive tract. Draining the fluid, if this is the problem will give almost instant relief, but will not solve the underlying problem of internal laying. Some people get hormone transplants to stop their hens from ovulating and this will prevent further build up of egg yolks and fluid in their belly, but it is expensive...... anyway, if you haven't had an egg off her for a while, this might be another possible diagnosis.

Good luck with her.

Barbara

Do you know when she last laid an egg?
Does she feel unusually heavy when you pick her up?
I'm wondering if she might be laying internally rather than egg bound. Laying internally is where eggs released from the ovary, fail to travel into the oviduct and fall into the abdominal cavity instead. It is quite a common problem and can go on for several months. The mass of eggs builds up inside them and fluid builds up around them (ascites) and puts pressure on the heart and lungs and digestive tract. Draining the fluid, if this is the problem will give almost instant relief, but will not solve the underlying problem of internal laying. Some people get hormone transplants to stop their hens from ovulating and this will prevent further build up of egg yolks and fluid in their belly, but it is expensive...... anyway, if you haven't had an egg off her for a while, this might be another possible diagnosis.

Good luck with her.

Barbara
I would say its is been about four days since her last egg.

Back
Top Bottom