Eggbound Hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by renay, Feb 17, 2015.

1. renay

renay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    I have a flock of four 8 month old roosters that I received as chicks, and five 1 year old hens that I've had for 4 months. Its Ontario and they are in a small, well-insulated coop. No heat. No artificial light. They have a covered outside run, and I shovel paths through the snow for them - With 4 roosters I try to give the girls as much room as I can to get away! It's been really cold so they've been a little quieter, but nothing out of the ordinary. They still lay 3-4 eggs daily, and usually they are perfectly formed. About twice a month they give me a soft-shelled or paler egg. I check for eggs at least 3 times a day.

In the coop this morning I noticed that someone laid an egg from the perch and it smashed to the floor and froze. Its happened twice in the past so I didn't think much of it. All of the chickens had gone outside to scratch. All seemed normal - cold, but normal.

Tonight I found one of the hens on the perch in the coop with bloody icicles hanging from her vent. I brought her inside and slowly warmed her (It's -20C/ -5F outside today!). I gave her a lukewarm bath to remove frozen poop around her vent and gently pulled out an entire eggshell. It looked like a deflated tire. It too was frozen. With more gentle cleaning I was able to remove what appeared to be a chick! It was still not really formed....more of a bloody mass. Is that even possible?!

I think her cloaca is prolapsed. Its slightly purplish in colour and I can't convince it to go back where it belongs. I'm not very aggressive when it comes to this sort of thing....Should I be?

She doesn't appear to be distressed. She was bobbing her tail up and down while I bathed her. But while I was blow-drying her (she really enjoyed that spreading her wings out and fluffing up) she stopped bobbing her tail. She's pooped - a little loose, but not the worst I've seen. She's hungry and drinking water. I don't know if I should feed her as I don't want to encourage egg production or poop...But I can't starve the poor girl!

I have her in the house in a dog kennel and blankets. I can't feel right about giving her wood shavings or straw when she's still oozing a bit of bloody discharge.

Any advice?!

2. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    You should let her have feed and water or she will get weak and that will cause problems. We had a hen that had a tissue paper egg once. She was exhausted from trying to lay. Once the paper egg shell was removed we inserted a syringe in her vent with 6ccwater to get the remainder of the egg to pass. If we didn't add the extra water to help her pass the yolk it would have sat in her and become infected. She passed the yolk that night. Then was fine. Your situation sounds a little different. If your dealing with vent prolapse then things need to be pushed back in her. Sometimes Preparation H will help with the swelling.
    Either way she need to eat and stay hydrated. Best of luck to you.

3. renay

renay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    Thanks for the quick reply! I tried again to get that vent back where it belongs but I'm at a loss. It seems to work for a nanosecond, then she wiggles and it pops back out....I have no prepH or petroleum jelly and no where to get some until tomorrow.

4. renay

renay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    I just wanted to give an update in case someone else finds this post when they're in the same boat.

I kept her in a cool room in the house without a window so that she was in the dark with only a nightlight. I bathed her every morning with mild soap, and applied vaseline to her prolapsed vent twice daily. I had to trim the feathers around her vent so I could see it better and to keep it clean. I even tried raw honey on the prolapsed part for the first few days. I was giving her metacam once daily and watching her food and water intake.

3 days ago the prolapsed part of the vent had dried up enough that it fell off. She's still living inside and I'm increasing the light in her room every day. She seems well. I guess time will tell about how well she is when she tries to lay an egg!

Now I get to try to figure out how to put her back with the others without them bullying her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by