Eggbound/Internal layer? *Update- we lost her*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OrpingtonHopeful, Dec 2, 2011.

1. OrpingtonHopeful

OrpingtonHopeful Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2009
    Reader's Digest:

1 1/2 yr old RIR hen
    no eggs from any hen in flock X +/- 1 month
    RIR 3 weeks tail down, all others look act perfect
    RIR 1 week tail clamped down, acting uninterested in food
    ALL molting and regaining feathers beautifully
    ALL on layer mash w oyster shell grit- yogurt, scrambled eggs, baby vits, cooked squash, greens from garden as treats

Interventions: 1 week ago brought RIR in to house and soaked in warm bath X 1/2 hour. Wrapped in warm towel and cuddled until almost dry before returning to coop. No poop- nothing passed. No change- tail down

Today- Hen laying on ground awake and alert but slow to rise- Soaked again for 15 minutes or so, towel dried and placed inside in large rubbermaid, prewarmed with light, pine shaving bedding, water, food, oyster shell available- covered partially to darken, using red light suspended to warm mildly-

Full scoop:

I have a 1 1/2 yr old RIR hen. Began laying around the 26 week mark- Lovely medium brown eggs. (We had brought her home as a day old and she was then added to an established flock of 3 healthy BO hens and was joined by a day old BPR) One of our BO's has been laying thin shelled, watery white eggs for a year now- Symptom of infectious bronchitis, I know but there is no sneezing or other sign of illness and all the other hens have been well.

Come the shorter days of winter all of my gals have stopped laying- We don't use supplemental lighting (though this never stopped the BO's before but they are 2 1/2 yr olds now, so maybe that explains it?)

For weeks now the RIR has been keeping her tail down a bit- She seemed otherwise fine (active, eating, her normal chipper self) so I stupidly left her alone. Gave the flock yogurt w/ baby vitamins, greens, oyster shell grit- They are on layer mash pellets. She has been molting and gaining feathers back beautifully. Last week she started showing signs that she wasn't well- not running for treats, tail clamped down- So I brought her in and soaked her in a warm bath for about 1/2 hour, then cuddled her in a towel until she spooked- returned her to coop without resolution-

Today she's basking, but slow to rise. It's cold out. The other gals rush to greet me, she remains seated. I scoop her up and bring her inside- soak her again and feel her abdomen seems distended it is constantly pulsing or spasming- Her vent looks perfect- perhaps the tiniest bit of egg yolk???. No poop passes or anything though as she soaks despite all these contractions of her belly and vent. I towel dry her as much as she'll allow (I don't want to stress her) and put her in a rubbermaid box with pine shavings, food & water, cover it mostly so it is dim, and suspend a light (red so as not to make it too bright) to keep her warm)- This is where she is now.

I really think she is egg bound (could she have become an internal layer if she used to lay?) , but I don't want to do anything horribly invasive. Is there something I can do at this point that might save her? If she doesn't pass a huge amount of stuff today I would think she'll be dead in a day or two.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. OrpingtonHopeful

May 17, 2009
    She's still fluffed and sitting in the darkened brooder box- My red bulb went out, but she's inside the house at 70 degrees instead of outside in the coop at 30-40.

Anyone have advice, please?

3. OrpingtonHopeful

May 17, 2009
    Update- I got a new bulb but had in her total darkness overnight (inside 68-72 degrees, heated) Turned on the heat lamp first thing this am and she ate a tiny bit of yogurt mixed with olive oil and baby vitamins.

She has been inside for about 24 hours and she has had one tiny poop.

What else can I do for her?

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Have you previously wormed her? I'm sorry I don't know what an egg bound hen looks like. Hopefully someone soon can help you.

5. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    It sounds like she could be eggbound. I know it can be a little bit disturbing but the easiest way to make for certain she is egg bound is to reach a olive oil covered finger up into her vent to see if you can feel the top of an egg. If so see if you can get the egg out by giving her a steam bath. Put HOT water in a basin with wire on top, put hen on and cover with towel. If you can't get the whole egg out (if she has one)there is always the option of breaking the egg and GENTLy removeing it peice by peice. The only thing that I can find that doesn't fit right is that noone has layed an egg in a month and now she is acting like she is eggbound? keep us updated please
    -roxy

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I had a girl get egg bound but I could feel the egg right at her vent. I took mine to the vet he lubed the egg & she eventually passed the egg. I never found the egg but no she passed it because she laid one more egg. Then I noticed she couldn't jump up on the roost & looked very lethargic. Back to the vet. Vet said egg was broken inside her by this time she had fever. Vet said alot of times when they get egg bound they sometimes never lay again. I chose to put her down. She was sick & suffering. Never thought I'd miss a chicken but I still think of her today. Good Luck!!!

7. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Yes,
    One of my hens were egg bound with a broken egg. We saved her but she hasn't laid a single egg since. Oh well,all my chickens are pets.

8. OrpingtonHopeful

May 17, 2009
    Yeah- fortunately we are the same here- Our chickens began as sort of a fun homeschool project and now are family pets- If she doesn't lay- that's ok- I would just really like her to pass this and be well again!

Still have her inside, in our small brooder box, dark with a red heat bulb- gave her yogurt with olive oil and baby vits yesterday, today the rest of the fresh butter lettuce from the garden (hoping it will soften things up), and added baby vits to her water today for added support.

She's in rough shape so I don't want to torment her by messing with her back end- I am hoping the olive oil via the front end and heat and dark, quiet place will relax her to pass the huge mess she must have built up in there now. Really, I am scared that I will kill her in trying to help her and that my poor kid will think her mama killed the hen.

Is there anything non-invasive that I am missing?

A sincere thanks to each of you for responding- It helps so much to have more ideas (who knows maybe I'll get brave enough to break out the olive oil) and support from folks who are trying their best too!

Best wishes to each of you!

9. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I had an egg bound hen over a year ago,she would lay an egg a day ,2 days no eggs,by the 4 th day she was sick,took her to the vets they xrayed seen an egg,to make a long story short,i gave her antibotics,pen. i did the oil an the internal could not feel the egg,inserted mineral oil intrnally,the next morning she had a mess greenish broken eggs ,lots of them,oh yes i did the warm soaks also.My girl Bevis was sick with high temp,but she pulled thu.She was laying for a long time,now i am not sure.It is a worry i know,i have one in the house now no idea,if she is egg bound or what she is wheezing now treating her with tylan injectable.I do think i will lose her. But anyways do the deed they say have someone hold them like a football while the other person does the internal.Good luck

10. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    How is she? have you tried bathing again? or a steam bath? please keep us updated. I hope your hen pulls through!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by