Eggbound or Not? First flock. HELP.

justfowl

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 13, 2016
Hey all, my 2 year old Barred Rock hen jumped down from a tall planter last week and seemed to hit her belly pretty hard on the edge of a galvanized tub. It sounded pretty loud and she was ruffled up for sure but went on to seem fine. She is a regular layer and usually lays several large eggs a week. Soon after the jump I noticed her standing unusually still for long periods of time then finally squatting and semmingly trying to lay. She abosulutely seemed eggbound and was very uncomfortable. This went on for 2 days. After giving calcium, 20 minute epsom salt baths for 2 days, separating her from the others, I finally noticed some broken shells in the coop. I only have 3 chickens and I know her eggshell color. I changed the bedding that day, so Im sure it was hers from that day. Shes never been an egg eater. And ever since then she seems fine..bright red comb and waddles, running around and jumping up without issues. Yet, no egg since. Its been a week. She has never gone a whole week without laying. Im worried the egg broke inside her last week and may be obstructing the ovuduct. However, she is not behaving as though she is eggbound. She seems absolutely normal. Should I be worried? If the egg broke inside can it make its way out safely? I should also mention that i checked her for an eggbound egg with a glove a week ago and didnt feel an egg present despite the eggbound behavior. Thanks for reading this long post. Any advice appreciated. Betty White is my favorite chicken and Im worried about her!!

None of my chickens have ever been eggbound so I'm not hugely familar with it but I'll try to give some advice:

If she seems to be better, take it as a very good sign as eggboundness is a tricky issue so if she was able to pass the egg pretty much on her own, super good. Not laying for a week could potentially just be from the stress being egg bound caused her and such, like I said, if she's showing no outward sign of pain or discomfort (hard to tell in chickens I know but eggbound pain is easily noticeable as I'm sure you have seen) I would go for just keeping a very close eye on her. She's probably just recovering and should be back to laying soon:)

Hopefully one more experienced with eggboundness (if it's a word) will come along! Prayers to you and your bird's quick and healthy recovery!:hugs

IT DOES NOT SOUND LIKE SHE IS EGGBOUND. THAT LITTLE FALL THAT SHE HAD, PROBABLY CAUSED SOME STRESS AND SHE'S STILL TRYING TO GET BACK IN THE SWING OF THINGS! YOU COULD ALWAYS ADD SOME CERAMIC FAKE EGGS IN THE NESTING BOXES. IT HELPS TO ENCOURAGE A HEN TO LAY. HOPE THIS HELPS A LITTLE AND GOOD LUCK!

The fall probably didn't cause the eggboundness but it does seem like it occurred after the fact (not a result of the fall) based on what you have described, and should be taken into account. You could try fake eggs or, I don't know if you already do, but I would recommend putting out some sort of calcium supplement (crushed eggshells or oyster shell). Putting extra calcium is a good idea to keep out even after she returns to lay as it helps keep up the extra calcium needed for the girls to lay (shells;)).

None of my chickens have ever been eggbound so I'm not hugely familar with it but I'll try to give some advice:

If she seems to be better, take it as a very good sign as eggboundness is a tricky issue so if she was able to pass the egg pretty much on her own, super good. Not laying for a week could potentially just be from the stress being egg bound caused her and such, like I said, if she's showing no outward sign of pain or discomfort (hard to tell
Thank

Back
Top Bottom