Eggbound? or something else?! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lilcowgirl98, Oct 1, 2011.

1. lilcowgirl98

lilcowgirl98 New Egg

Sep 30, 2011
    a couple of days ago, I noticed one of my barred rock hens limping a little bit. They were born in April, and have been laying for a couple of months now. Yesterday, she wasn't limping as much, but her tail end was downward, along with another one of my hens (i have seven). Last night i researched this site about egg bound hens and it all matched up to what they were doing, so last night i was up for quite awhile, soaking them in warm water and massaging them. This morning, there wasn't a sign of an egg. I soaked them again, and now, (nighttime) the two of them are in the nest, (still no sign of egg) Any suggestions ?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  2. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I tried finding some threads for you about limps but none seemed to apply. Are there any other symptoms at all? Can you feel anything upon exam? It'd be unlikely that 2 at the same time would be eggbound but anything is possible I guess. Could they have been injured somehow? With 2 developing limps at the same time it sounds more like something possibly infectious.

3. lilcowgirl98

lilcowgirl98 New Egg

Sep 30, 2011
    Only one of them was limping in the beginning, but now niether of them are. They are just moving slowly around the yard. I couldn't really feel an egg, but I don't know where to feel exactly. Their tails are still a little bit downward. They are also not pooing as much as the others, and when they do, its not solid. Thanks.

UPDATE:
    They are both acting normal now. It's weird! I have no clue what was up with them, but thanks for your help.
    Mable and Lou [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by