Eggbound or something else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by goonius, Sep 30, 2016.

1. goonius

goonius Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2016
    SC
    I have a BO hen, about 27 weeks old. My other BO began laying about a week ago @ 25 weeks of age. Last week we thought this one was ready to lay too. Last Friday she made a nest under a bush, was busy sorting things out. We waited and eventually saw her walking across the yard singing the egg song, followed by copious drinking.... Then, we never could find the egg.

Same thing a couple of days later. So we put her in the coop. This time she did the same thing, but in one of the proper nesting boxes. This allowed us to confirm there was definitely no egg. She keeps getting in the boxes, acting like she is laying, might spend a half hour or more in there, but no egg. She's back to full-time free ranging now, but I wonder if I should be worried about her.

She looks a little droopy (but not terribly so -- she still has an appetite, chases bugs, and drinks). Her comb is darker than the other BO. It's crimson vs. fire engine red of her sister. She pulses her vent almost constantly. I gave her a vitamin supplement today. She has access to oyster shells and has been on layer ration for a couple months.

I guess I just want to know if I should be concerned about her, give more calcium, or if I'm overreacting. I grew up with chickens, but these are the first I have had as an adult.

2. goonius

Jun 21, 2016
    SC
    Oh, also her poos are really small, which seemed odd to me. But they are well formed. No diarrhea.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would give it some time since she could be getting ready to lay. Make sure that they get a good layer feed with additional calcium (crushed oyster shell or egg shells) for free feeding when they want it. I once had a hen who every other day went into the nest box to lay her egg, performing all of the rituals, but there was never an egg. I think she was a false layer. Here are some reproductive disorders from The Merck Veterinary Maunual that you can click on to read about:

Topics in Disorders of the Reproductive System

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  4. goonius

Jun 21, 2016
    SC
    Thanks! I will look these over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by