Eggbound? Parasites? Help! Hen in Distress (photos may seem graphic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SFlChicks, Feb 19, 2013.

1. SFlChicks

SFlChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    South Florida
    Our 2 year old Dominick, Hattie, has been having egg issues. She had a shell break about 2 weeks ago while she was attempting to lay it. We treated her for parasites and her eggs have been elongated and the shells are thin (but intact).

Tonight I found her in her nesting box, head down, tail up and she was straining. When she lay down, she seemed distressed. I took her out of her box and her vent was clear. I put her on the ground and she ran back to the nesting box where she immediately lay down.

I took her out again and palpitated her underside. The first photo shows the discharge. She went back into the coop and lay down again. We did this a couple of times and she got increasing fatigued.
    [​IMG]

While I was frantically looking for the number for a vet who treats hen, she discharged a hard lump. It's about the size of a quarter, maybe a little larger.

[​IMG]

She is very fatigued and was panting for a short while and whimpering. She fell asleep while I was holding her and when she woke up she seemed a little bit better. We put her back in the coop where she once again went into a nesting box and laid down.

We cannot find an after hours vet that treats chickens so I am turning here for help.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    That egg looked like it was full of chicken's insides...

To the OP, it looks like there is definitely something wrong with her internal egg laying. This happens sometimes. People say that a hen's laying days aren't over as they get older, but they do seem to start experiencing more issues of this nature. Or so it seems. Anyway, I don't really know what to do. I hope someone will come along who does, but it looks like some internal laying might be happening, or that maybe an egg has ruptured inside of her. But the best thing to do in almost any situation is to keep the bird isolated and warm...

4. SFlChicks

Oct 28, 2010
    South Florida
    So much for any chance at being able to eat dinner tonight [​IMG]

So you think the funky hard thing is just a really odd egg? I thought it might be the shell compacted. I am not cutting it open. No way. No how.

Do you think I should retreat her for parasites? The shells have been so thin lately and they get oyster shell in their food. Poor girl. She has been our best layer and is such a sweetheart. It breaks my heart that she doesn't feel well.

5. SFlChicks

Oct 28, 2010
    South Florida
    Me and Hattie about a year ago.
    [​IMG]

6. SFlChicks

Oct 28, 2010
    South Florida
    Hattie seems better this morning but tired. She expelled what looked like runny scrambled eggs with some green chunks but she is eating and drinking.

At the advice of an expert in my area, we have put her in a dim area. The "Hen Spa" is our large dog crate with fresh hay on the bottom and her food and water. I've checked on her a couple of times and she seems content to lay in the hay and rest. Her poop seems to be returning to normal as the morning progresses.

I should mention that we are in South Florida so I have the benefit of warm weather and lots of sunshine and the garage is comfortable.

I would feel A LOT better if she was yelling her head off to get out of the crate and back outside, but she is markedly better than last night.

And exhale...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by