Eggbound/Prolapse, HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kherth, Feb 1, 2014.

1. kherth

kherth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2013
    So I had previously posted as to how I thought my hen only had a prolapsed vent. But now when I was trying to stick her vent back in I felt an egg... what the heck do I do now??? Sorry new to this.. I've bathed her, and gotten rid of all of the mucous and poop with blood... but she's still bleeding some. The vent is definitely sticking out... and I gave her two baths now, with Epsom salts and a little soap, tried the honey and sugar trick, gave her aspirin, yogurt egg shells and scrambeled eggs... She's not super interested in eating but is eating... but I cannot get her to drink water.. She's only 8 months old, and we've been going through losses of chickens due to the damn neighbor dog... I injected olive oil into her vent to help her pass the egg... what else can I do, and once the egg has passed... how long do I give it to try and help the prolapse back in? .... Poor girl isn't feeling super hot... She's our prized hen so PLEASE PLEASE help...She's a blonde aracauna... Help me to help my baby girl

2. kherth

Jul 13, 2013
    anyone? please please help!

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you live near a Tractor Supply go get some calcium gluconate and give her 200mg-300mg per 2.2 pounds orally or give her some human calcium. The liquid will works faster, but use pills if you can't get the liquid. This cannot wait until tomorrow!

-Kathy

4. kherth

Jul 13, 2013
    Shoot the store is closed because we're in rural WY and I am without a car right now because mine broke down... I gave her a little bit of tums crumbled up in her water, but she wont drink at all.. I had to manually open her beak and syringe water her.... I just am at a loss right now... she's pretty lethargic, but has kick left in her, she's fighting me on some of the stuff.. I am just trying to keep her comfortable. Could her vent be pushed out a little bit just from straining to get this egg out? I can feel the membranes with I gently palpate the egg... It feels large
    She's a healthy girl otherwise, but not very big....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by