Eggbound Young Hen??? Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heath_elisha, Mar 19, 2012.

1. heath_elisha

heath_elisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Our young 37 week old hen was laying a egg a day consistently for a few months then abruptly stopped. It has been 2 months since we have seen an egg from this little girl. She is a easter egger- eating, drinking, foraging normal. Nothing abnormal, other then no eggs from her. 2 days ago I saw her in the nest box (and I got excited!) but later that afternoon I noticed something stuck in her vent- looked like the inside white lining of an egg, but nothing else. No egg was found in the nest box. She was in the nest box for the past two days and still no egg. Tonight, closing them up for the night, I noticed that her tail is not down like the others, while roosting. Her tail is up and her vent is moving nonstop as if she is still trying to lay. My husband grabbed some rubber gloves [​IMG] and went up the vent to see if he could feel anything stuck- but found nothing. Any suggestions??????? What could be going on with this young girl?? Please- thoughts, suggestions to help would be very much appreciated. She is one of my most favorites!

2. Sometimes putting her in the nest for the night will help. If she's on the perch and having a hard time laying, for whatever reason, she may not relax enough if the egg is stuck. But sleeping in the nest will alleviate that. Sometimes bringing her in and letting her soak in a warm bath will help her relax. I've read where people use olive oil on a gloved finger and lubricate her vent. By the way, the egg tube is on her left side but the egg track goes all over. Last eggbound hen I had, the egg was on the right side and caught in a fold. Hopefully you can get it taken care of quickly. Two days already...

Make sure they have free choice oyster shell so the egg has a nice firm shell. Soft shells are very hard to lay as they squish up against narrow passages instead of passing through.

3. heath_elisha

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Well.... no egg yet. I have not spotted her in the nest box again and it looks as though she isn't "pushing" anymore. She is still very active, eating, talking, sunbathing with the other ladies. Last night on the roost she was more relaxed then the previous night. Her tail was down like the others. Not sure what to think....... maybe "false" egg/labor pains? lol I have no clue.... [​IMG]

4. heath_elisha

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Well, she must have sensed my disappointment lol went and checked on her again and there was an egg!!! It has been well over 2 months.... lovely green color. So happy that she is ok. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by