1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggbound?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickinlickin, Sep 6, 2009.

1. chickinlickin

chickinlickin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Ohio
    Hello -
    I've got a 5 mo old pullet (barred rock-ancona mutt) thats been on the nest for about an hour...from time to time she sings and clucks like crazy...but no egg yet. She's very flighty anyway and when I get close to her she freaks out a little....

She's only started to lay this week - 4- 5 eggs so far.

Any suggestions??
    Thanks.

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Does she look distressed? Sometimes it takes new layers a little longer.

3. chickinlickin

Apr 29, 2009
    Ohio
    Maybe a little a little..she seemed nervous.

..but I just went out and she is out of the nest and no egg....

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Is she panting?

I would give her a little time. You can try and feel her and see if you can feel an egg.

Keep us posted.

5. chickinlickin

Apr 29, 2009
    Ohio
    It's been over 2 hrs since she got out of the nest and she's running around, scratching and eating grass....just like normal. I watched her for a little while and she's eating, drinking and pooping....so I don't know what's going on. [​IMG]

eta - she is a little noisier than normal, i think.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    My new layers do this too...they take turns sitting in the nest boxes for long periods of time, sometimes there's an egg, sometimes there isn't. I think that when they are newbies, there may be some confusion as to when they are "close", and so they sit and sit and sit. Kind of like a small child that is learning to use the potty...they aren't quite sure about the internal cues, so they sit there for an hour before they do the deed... [​IMG]

7. chickinlickin

Apr 29, 2009
    Ohio
    Thanks, that puts me a liittle more to ease.

You should have seen my dw and dd running out to the coop every time that hen would cackle...[​IMG]...about every 10 minutes for an hour or so...

8. chickinlickin

Apr 29, 2009
    Ohio
    Well that crazy hen did the same thing this afternoon...sat in the box for over an hour....cackling and carying on...and no egg.

She seems just fine otherwise....what should I watch for if she's eggbound?...or not worry about it? [​IMG]

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    If she fluffs up, is panting, or acting otherwise oddly, then ideally have her seen by a vet, if yours sees chickens...

Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by