1. chickensarefamily2me

chickensarefamily2me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    Argyle, Texas
    I have a Cuckoo Maran that is a year old. Weighs about 6 to 8 pounds. She isn't fat, she's a large bird. Her name is Ursula, and I was running my usual egg bound check, and noticed that Ursula is swollen and hard in the area underneath her vent. Is she eggbound? I need to know. She is quite young and her sister Tillie is already having problems. I can't lose another chicken. I just got three more chicks to reach my goal of twenty. What can I do if she is egg bound?? I live in the little city of Arygle, Texas.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Do you know when she laid last? Does she appear to be feeling poorly? Is she spending a lot of time looking like she's trying to lay an egg?

3. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Has she been laying regularly and has she laid in the past few days? I only ask because I thought for weeks that I had one egg bound and agonized over her, warm baths, oiling her vent, the whole nine yards. She never acted uncomfortable or sick, so I left her alone and she's been just fine. She was more uncomfortable being soaked than anything else. For sure try some olive oil around her vent and if you can get a little VERY GENTLY just inside, it could help. Good luck and keep us posted!

4. chickensarefamily2me

Aug 14, 2010
    Argyle, Texas
    Miss Ursula acts normally, and I'm not really sure when she laid last... SHe gets up every morning, and talks to me over her morning breakfast. She pushes her sister Tillie to come eat with the other girls... Normal stuff. I only noticed the problem because she was resting in the coop. I can't remember if she every has spent time trying to lay lately.
    Unfortuatly, I don't know which of my Cuckoos lay. I do know that I I have been getting a dark brown egg or two every day. I just never think Tillie is laying. I never see either Tillie or Ursula on the nest.

5. chickensarefamily2me

Aug 14, 2010
    Argyle, Texas
    I've posted a topic on this, but Ursula has gotten worse!!! She's exhausted, won't stand up unless provoked, and barely talks. Dad said she drank something last night, but I've had her in my room for over an hour, and she hasn't even moved from the position I put her in- oh, wait, she drinking a little.... Her comb is not as red as it usually is. Her belly is not longer hard, but I never got an egg from her.

6. ams4776

ams4776 Chillin' With My Peeps

Giving a boost to see if anyone can help ya. Good luck sorry i can't help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by