Eggbound?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by whiskey54, Feb 7, 2013.

1. whiskey54

whiskey54 New Egg

Apr 23, 2012
    I have four young hens that began laying one month ago.

I have seen 3 lay regularly but the fourth I havent seen lay at all.

For the last couple of weeks she has been flitting around the coop like a mad thing but she has been eating and drinking well.

Im not sure if she scares from shadows or what.

The last two days she hasnt come outside at all after the inital release in the morning at which she eats little and drinks little, she then goes back inside preferring to sit on the floor of the henhouse.

The past two days the hens have been on Tetravet as two of the other ones were unwell but seem back to normal now.

Could this have made her feel a bit off or could she be eggbound? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    If you want to know if she is eggbound, feel around her vent for a bump. If she does have a bump, she might be eggbound. Here are some symptoms of eggbound hens:
    • Pale comb and wattles
    • Droopy tail
    • Not eating or drinking much
    • Not very active (but not lethargic)

If you are certain she is eggbound, put her in a tub of warm water for 20-25 minutes, and she should pass the egg. Make sure the water is hotter then her body temperature, but not so hot that it would burn her. After she passes the egg, keep her inside and keep her warm and comfortable. It should take 1-2 days for her to recover. When she is active and jumping around and acting chicken-like again, you can re-introduce her back into the flock. While she is recovering, make sure it is dark for her. Make sure she has food and water. Change her water at least daily. Hope this helps and hope she will be OK!!!

Bluebee[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. whiskey54

whiskey54 New Egg

Apr 23, 2012
    Hi there

Thanks you so much for your message. We did find an egg in the nest that didnt look like one we had seen before so we are thinking that maybe it is hers. Unfortunately while we have four hens we are only getting either two or three eggs at the moment so not sure who is or isnt laying. We can usually tell with two of the hens as they are always first in the nest but the other two - well not so sure. I guess I will just have to keep watch and hopefully see if she does actually lay. Once again thank you so much for your advice.

4. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Your welcome! Keep us updated on what happens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by