1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egggggggggggggggggssssssssss

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blue fire, Nov 25, 2007.

1. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    [​IMG] my buff orpington takes her time laying her eggs. It takes her at least an hour to lay her egg. is that normal?

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Oh, gosh, I don't know about that. My BO are now 20 wks old and no eggs. This cold spell here probably scared them off a couple of weeks.

3. Scooter

Scooter Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2007
    Western WA
    A few weeks ago my buff orpington started to take longer and longer to lay. Turns out she was getting broody. She has now stopped laying and sits on everyone else's eggs!

4. okto

okto Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2007
    los angeles
    big jessica, my white orpington, takes about 1/2 an hour to lay her egg.

this doesn't include all the noisy trips to the nesting box before hand,
    usually about two false starts. she yells for everyone to hear before
    every trip to the box.

she sits in there and scuffs and kicks and rearranges the wood shavings.

and then low and behold one medium egg, 1/2 an hour later.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    My girls vary between 1/2 - 2 hours.
    [​IMG]

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Wow really? I was just wondering this myself. My girls just started laying, and I've not noticed anybody being slow except for my Black Star. I went in to check the boxes the other day, and she was just having an awful time getting comfortable. Kicking the golf ball around and making a fuss. Took her a long time. So I started wondering how long it actually does take.

7. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

My only Barred Rock hen takes hours to lay........makes a scene everytime.......worth it for me [​IMG]

8. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    well, she looks like she is situated for the 2+ hours she is in there. Maybe she loves making me wait for the egg [​IMG] My Rock is going to start laying sometime soon and my RIR is the only girl who loos like she has molted

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  9. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Our dominique hen takes her time. It drives me crazy because the others will fuss when they want to get in the box and lay ....and she is a real witch when she taking her turn and her sweet time.

10. buc

buc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    my buff orpington takes her time laying her eggs. It takes her at least an hour to lay her egg. is that normal?"

I will say yes, from my view point of watching my 4 girls.

Seems that the colder it gets the longer they are taking in the nesting box to lay, one is getting very broody, had to force her out of the box to collect the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by