egglayer feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DaKid, Nov 16, 2008.

1. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    Ok I use egglayer pellets for my chickens , on the back of the bag it list that 1/4 lb per bird daily.

how many follow this or do you just fill ur feeders with food daily and let them eat what ever and when ever .
    I have been filling my feeder which whole about 10 lbs of food soom days they will eat the whole thing plus I give them treats 3-4 times a week.
    the pen or chickens I talking about is now at 18 hens and one roo.

If I follow what the bag infor. as to 1/4 lb per bird daily that would be about 5 lbs of feed daily for 20 birds.

what or how do ya'll feed and about how much and how many chickens are you feeding daily

Thanks
    Al.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm feeding 52 chickens. They have food in the feeders 24/7. We go through a 50# bag of layer feed per week and about 20 lb of scratch, maybe less, really because it's about 1/4 of a 50# bag of scratch (11-grain).

They also freerange most of every day, so they're finding other things to eat around the property.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  3. DaKid

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    mine are in a large fence in run
    I go through 200 lbs plus egglayer a month plus 100 lbs plus of crack corn that is feeding all my chickens ;
    20 asst. Bantams
    40 asst. layers and 6 roo's

just seems the more feed there is the more they eat and just poop it out.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I don't know, DaKid, it doesn't seem like they are far off the .25 lb daily. Maybe even a little short of it.

You've got 46 standards and 20 bantams. Let's just say a nice round 50 chickens.

Your 300 lbs of feed goes to 6 lbs/chicken/month. That's .2 lb per day each.

Steve

5. DaKid

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    hi steve
    but the 1/4 i would thing would be for the standards .
    I would think 1/4 lb would feed at lease 4 bantams there little japanese

i can't see a bantam eating 2lbs of feed if so thats one fat cat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by