Egglaying during the winter in Florida

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LilChickCoop, Oct 30, 2010.

1. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    Ok, so Iam reading all of this about chickens not laying during the winter and wonder to myself: Does this apply to Florida? I would think not since we rarely get a winter down here. So, Florida chicken owners: what are your experiences? Do your chickens have this "winter break" too? Thanks for all of your input!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    We get the same weather/temps as North Florida. Mine lay year round and dont completely stop, but they do slack off when it gets cooler and alot of my hens are still getting new feathers from molt as well. Egg production picks up substantionally in February.

3. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

This is a function of length of day more than temperature. A hen has a finite number of eggs that she can lay in her lifetime - you can increase the amount of light by supplementing - have a light turn on early in the am, for instance - or you can let them take a little break in the winter, which may allow them to have more longevity as layers. It depends on your priorities...

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I agree with you to an extent. Our days are longer than our northern neighbors. However, here, our temps can be 88-90 (this past week including yesterday) and wake up to 43 degrees this morning. Egg laying comes to a grinding halt until they adjust to the temps accordingly. We usually dont have a spring or fall...it goes from one extreme to the other. A/C on yesterday afternoon, heater on this morning. In any case, I let my hens lay when they want without providing a light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by