Egglaying hen was exposed to asbestos fibers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by melissablu, Feb 19, 2014.

1. melissablu

melissablu New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    We had a fire in our yard last week, our shed burned down in the middle of the night. It was big fire, and the shed was made of asbestos (a pre-existing unit on the property we bought) so fibers were released during the fire. The coop was just meters from the fire, but did not burn and the chicken seems fine, has laid a half dozen eggs since. The remnants from the fire were cleaned out of the yard yesterday and the coop was moved to a a different area.

Is it okay to eat the eggs? Should I be concerned about the chicken now? Not sure what I could do for her. Any advice would be helpful. I have separated the eggs from before and after the fire.

Thanks,
    Mel

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Welcome to BYC.

Nothing you can do for her as asbestos settles in the lungs and damage usually take years before they are noticed. Watch her and yourself for respiratory issues as particles can float around for a long time.

Eggs will be fine.

Is your girl by herself? If yes,i would recommend getting her a friend as chickens are very social animals and she will be lonely,just remember the quarantine rule.

3. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    Just to be safe I'd make sure that all the debris from fire is out of the area, chickens that are allowed to wander the yard find the strangest things. I'd wait for a very good rain too to let them wander around in the yard just incase there is something still on the surface of the ground.

I had a home fire over 15 years ago and we are still finding things that are working the way to the surface of the ground after all this time. They did a good job of demo and clean up just didn't get all the small pieces that filtered on out.

4. melissablu

melissablu New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    Thanks for your replies. I was just thinking of getting another chicken just days before the fire, but glad I waited. She will have a friend soon. I think I will keep her in our second yard, no fire damage there and much more space to run around.

Thanks again,
    Mel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by