Egglaying...I must be stupid...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thornberryvillage, Apr 14, 2008.

1. thornberryvillage

thornberryvillage Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    OK folks...HELP!!!

I've had layers for several years, and while I didn't consider myself an expert, I thought I was a bit knowledgeable, but I'm flummoxed right now.

My chickens won't lay. 80 layers, all 11-12 mos old, a third RIR, a third black sex links, and a third Golden Comets (gold sex links.)...and I'm getting 1-2 eggs a day.

I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of.

They free range plus get all the 22 percent layer ration they want.

I thought they might be laying where I couldn't find the eggs, so I locked them in the henhouse 24/7 three days ago, rather than just at night. Fresh straw in the nest boxes, artificial light so they have 16 hrs of light a day, plenty of water.

Nothing.

Crushed red pepper, an old wives tale to stimulate laying...I tried it...nothing.

I've threatened them...told them that they were either layers or would be fryers. No effect...still no eggs.

Any ideas?

Bob

2. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    How long has this been going on? Were they laying at one point and recently stopped?

My first suspicion would be that something was eating the eggs. Do you check on them several times a day to see if there are any eggs in there?

Many questions! I would be flummoxed too!

Cassandra

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    1 question do you leave them locked up in the run till they lay all their eggs for the day.or do you let them freerange.are their combs a bright red.if their a pale red they wont be laying.

4. kurby

kurby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    East,Texas
    Thorn I am in the same boat. I got some new chickens, they laid for about 4 days and quit. Nothing. Get to go out, good food, clean water, nothing.
    They are young and should be laying quite well. OUr weather has done some strange things like go from HOT to pretty cool.
    Anyone have any suggestions for us??
    That's 18 hens not laying but eating. :eek:
    Karen

5. DENALI

DENALI Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Quote:ummmmm whats comb color have to do with it?

6. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    if the combs are a bright red.they should either be laying or getting ready to start laying eggs.if their combs are a pale red.they arnt ready to lay eggs.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Have you tried offering free choice oystershell and also some pure protein (such as cut up meat scraps/leftovers, cooked of course)? Some have success with that.

Pat

8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    If they are a year old could they possibly be starting a molt already???

Have you dug down into the straw to make sure they aren't hiding them? Fortunately I saw an egg sticking partially out of the shavings on the coop floor. After that day I literally had to dig several inches down into the shavings to unbury her eggs - every day. If I hadn't have seen the egg that one time I still wouldn't know that there were eggs buried down there.

Good luck -- this would be so frustrating.

9. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I am very perplexed and interested in your situation. You were smart to lock them in the coop but it really did not give any answers?!?!? I agree that you could offer oyster shell and as for protein I feed mine cat food once a week as a treat. (Just a trick I learned from reading an older post here.)
    Good luck hope the answer comes to you soon in one way or another. [​IMG]

10. hdchic

hdchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    IL
    This is all good info...I've only had my layers for about 36 hours, so I'm still waiting for them to aclimate. Good info about the combs, I had no idea about that *goes out to get a better look at her girls*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by