Egglaying/meat birds

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by phantomthebantom, Jan 26, 2011.

1. phantomthebantom

phantomthebantom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    What kind of bird should i use for egglaying/meat purposes?[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Dual purpose birds such as sussex, australorps, wyandottes, etc. The list goes on [​IMG]

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Buff Orpingtons are what I use, they get up to 10 pounds and lay great.[​IMG]

4. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Hmmm.......I like Wyandottes and Barred Rocks but they aren't super friendly....maybe Orpingtons would be better for you? Also Sussex are pretty and meaty, of course Rhode island Reds are sassy and dual-purpose also, Dominique are very rare and look similar to Barred Rocks, Australorps, Arucanas lay blue eggs but aren't too meaty, Marans lay dark brown eggs and are meaty, Brahmas are huge and beautiful, Polish are pretty good white egg layers but are kind of skinny for meat birds.

Check out this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/breed-search.php

And
    this: img/smilies/welcome-byc.gif" alt="welcome-byc" />">http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html
    [​IMG]
    I'll split an order of chick with you anytime!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i'm gonna use giant cochins... gorgeous, huge eggs, huge roosters...

6. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Delawares are a great dual purpose breed, as are Plymouth Rocks.

Personally, I'd go with Dels [​IMG]

7. phantomthebantom

phantomthebantom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    Thank you everyone who answered.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  8. awesomefowl

Salmon Faverolles?

9. hiker125

hiker125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Henryville
    Are Dels overly noisy? I have a good local source for RIRs, but not Dels. Are hatchery Dels more friendly than breeder RIRs? I know that there is a lot of variations, but just a general idea.

10. awesomefowl

I like Anconas, Hamburgs, Buttercups, and Campines too but they aren't quite as meaty. LMK what you choose! [​IMG] [​IMG] CHICKENS!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by