Egglaying noises

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by animal_lover03, Sep 16, 2009.

1. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    DOnt chickens make the noise before and after they lay an egg? How long after the first loud noise does it take a first time egg laying chicken to lay an egg?

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Some chickens do the "egg song" before they lay. Some are sneaky and quiet about it. Every chicken is different. Some also start to squat when they get kind of close. Do your's do that???

3. animal_lover03

Sep 4, 2009
    Yeah, they squat and it looks like they are abvout to poop, but then they dont???

4. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I'm thinking that they may be getting close. [​IMG]

Have they been interested in the nesting boxes? Any seem to have high anxiety lately? In and out of the coop, maybe? That's a good clue that it will be very soon. [​IMG]

5. animal_lover03

Sep 4, 2009
    Once in a while I'll see them in the nesting boxes ,but then they run outside. I hope they lay an egg soon.

6. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

I knew the day that Beatrice was going to lay her first egg (last Saturday) because she was doing that "bwaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkk bwwwwwaaaaaaakkk bwwwaaaaaaaaak" thing really quietly that they do...and she kept running in and out of the coop in circles and hiding in the corner then running outside again. Hopefully they are all so obvious.

7. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    Our first (and only layer thus far) is a red sex link who is very quiet when she lays. She clucks so quietly that you can hardly hear her - but she come charging out of the coop after she's done like a bat outta h*ll! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Our California white is our loudest chicken and almost sounds like she's crowing when she sees me walking out to the coop. I have a feeling she'll be a very 'expressive' egg layer. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by