Egglaying Order

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PepsNick, Jul 18, 2010.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Which of my girls should lay first? Most are around 15-16 weeks old. My EE is only 12 weeks. And who should lay last? What age for them?
    I know who will lay first, so I'm only posting pics of 4 of my girls instead of 5. But who will lay next??
    Thanks. And these pics were taken a week ago (july 8th) And some 2 weeks ago, but mostly 1 week.

Liz-Lemon, Barred Rock. 15-16 weeks.
    [​IMG]

Lily, BSL. 15-16 weeks.
    [​IMG]

Zucchini, EE. 12 weeks.
    [​IMG]

Pepper, Barred Rock. 16 weeks.
    [​IMG]

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    The pictures are beautifull, but closer shots of their heads would really help to figure out who is closest to p.o.l. Generally speaking their comb and wattles will go from pink to red or near red shortly before they start laying, sometimes it seems like it happens almost overnight. Many, but not all pullets will start to show submissive squating behaviour as well. If you don't have a roo they'll squat for you instead. This is a sign that they are ready to breed and mine have started laying within two weeks (sometimes sooner) after they started squatting. A few of mine also started doing practice runs in the nest box a week or so before laying their first eggs, but that doesn't seem to be nearly as common as some of the other signs.

3. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I have a 15 week old EE that just started squatting and the Barred rocks are getting really red combs. Is this possible?? I thought it would be much later?

4. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Great! Thank you. Well my EE doesn't even have her wattle yet and no red face. Just a little comb. My Barred Rock's face is VERY red, and she has a big wattle and nice comb. And then my BO has a small wattle and large comb. Face isn't THAT red yet. And then my BSL- here she is. Up-close. This was taken 2 days ago.

[​IMG]

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    My sex-links started first at 17 weeks with the BR and SLW following at 18-20 weeks, the BO, BA's and EE's were a bit later at 22-24 weeks. I think 15 weeks is pretty early, but mine were late spring early summer hatches so yours could very well start earlier since the days are still long. I think the shorter days of early fall probably slowed my flock down a bit. Hope you guys get your first eggs soon, it's pretty great when you go out to check the nest boxes for the 'zillioneth time and actually see a perfect little egg in there.

6. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Aww I'm excited!!! I want my EGGS!!!!!!! Lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by