Egglaying questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by embkm, Nov 29, 2009.

1. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    I have 11 hens and have not gotten a single egg in over a month. The older girls are finishing a big molt, so it doesnt surprise me from them. But my younger girls just started laying in August. They are not molting. They are not eating them. They dont free range, so they arent hiding them. Nothing is stealing the eggs, they jsut arent laying. And other than the EEers, I have breeds that are supposed to be good winter layers. THe coops are in the wooded area of the yard so they are very shaded (works best in summer heat).

Reading all the other posts with suggestions, the only thing I havent tried is adding light since the coops are so far from the house.
    I was wondering if I made a chicken tractor just for the 3 young good winter laying hens and brought it closer to the house, could I use the light from the backporch light as "additional" light? I live in Georgia, so we have pretty mild winters, although it has been pretty damp and cold this fall. Would a tractor be a feasible idea for a BO, RIR, and BR? Or should I jsut keep them with the EEers that make up the rest of their flock and just resign myself to no eggs. I really don't mind them slowing way down, but the stopping all together is making it very hard to justify keeping all of them.

2. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Gosh I dunno. Only thing that comes to mind is a Chicken Whisperer.

Maybe the older gals' stress is contagious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by