Egglaying while asleep on roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eds500, Jul 11, 2011.

1. eds500

eds500 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I've found an egg below the roost where a chicken has laid overnight 3 times since early March. 2 were cracked though the one today was intact. Have others found this too? I suppose nature is taking it's course but I thought it odd that a chicken would lay an egg while on the roost asleep.

[​IMG]

2. boysnoise210

boysnoise210 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    My hen has laid once from the roost bar; it was during a time when she didn't have a proper nest box and would hold onto as many as 3 eggs at a time until she just couldn't hold them anymore, then lay all at once. (People have actually laughed at me or told me I was being punked, but I saw her do it!) Maybe check out the nest box situation and make sure she's not avoiding the nest for some reason? I have barely any chicken experience, but having seen a roostin' egg, I thought it might help! Good luck.

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I guess their not ready to lay & then the lights go out & their stuck on the roost. What else can they do ? To answer your question I've found a few under the roost.

4. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    It's happened a couple times for me, too. One girl gets 'em stuck to her rear-end feathers so she'll run off and I have to try and catch her with and egg stuck to her butt... kinda funny sight.

Jen

5. sanyijr

sanyijr Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    Livermore
    Quote:That sound absolutely HILARIOUS!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by