Egglaying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The Chicken Boyy, Feb 14, 2009.

1. The Chicken Boyy

The Chicken Boyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Does anyone know any way to find out which hen is laying I have 2 black stars. I bought from a local farmer which said he ordered from meyer hatchery. He metioned that 3 hens were laying but could not tell which one. Since there was like 30. Well i bought 2, about a week later i found an egg. But since there's only 2 hens I think i can tel which one is layingl if anyone knows a good way to find out!

something else am worried about is since that egg APPEAR there no more eggs have APPEAR since 3 days! anyone got some advice or help?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    different color food coloring on the vent area with a q-tip. Works great [​IMG]

3. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Does one have a noticeably redder comb than the other? If so, that's the one who's laying. My black stars went from little pink combs to bright red in the course of a week and that's when we started getting new eggs.

4. The Chicken Boyy

Oct 17, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    How does that Q-tip method works?

Yes one's comb and wattles are redder and bigger the the other one!

5. The Chicken Boyy

Oct 17, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    HELP!

[​IMG]

6. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:The one that has a "bigger and redder" comb and wattles if probably the one that is laying. Both of those are signs that a pullet is getting ready to or has started laying.

7. The Chicken Boyy

Oct 17, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Ok...What about the 3 days and not another egg!

3 days and not another eggs has been layed?

8. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, don't worry about that. Little nonsense things will disrupt them and if she's just started laying she may not be real regular yet. Just check the obvious things like water, feed, oyster shell, and length of daylight hours and she'll start back up. Those black stars are good layers but even they don't lay every day, give her some time and good treats and she'll be back.

9. The Chicken Boyy

Oct 17, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    How much daylight should they get?

Another thing is they are pen with my 10 weeks old chicks and eat there chick grower/finisher, should i give them laying feed?

10. The Chicken Boyy

Oct 17, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    ??????????????????????????????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by