1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggless' chick laid by hen in Sri Lanka

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Found this, thought my BYC friends might enjoy. I feel so sorry for the momma hen! Poor dear.
    My guess is this poor hen got egg bound and couldn't lay her egg and it stayed in her for 3 weeks and the baby hatched, and maybe scratched her inside or something and she bled to death internally. Anyway, I am glad the chick is alive and well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/17769677

~ Aspen

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Wow [​IMG] It's too bad the mother died....

3. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

weird

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm not buying it!

5. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Why? [​IMG]

Ask yourself this: Why would the Chief Vetenary Officer put his name on the line if there were no truth in it?

"Truth is stranger than fiction" is the maxim which comes to mind [​IMG] Just because its not been reported before, doesn't necessarily make it false.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What indication would they have to even do the autopsy? How would the chick have made it's 'appearance'? I believe the oxygen level in the oviduct would not have supported development of the chick - their is no veinous blood supply to the egg providing oxygen for development. Humidity levels would have been excessive. Maybe, but I am still doubtful - just call me jaded.

7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    My first thought is that the egg would have suffocated, too. Since nobody was there to witness the "birth," I can see how this could be a hoax.

One article mentions lacerations and a tear in the hen's reproductive system. One doesn't have to be on this forum long to know about internal laying. I wonder if anyone who has had a hen succumb to that condition has ever found chicks or at least developing eggs inside her?

I'm on the fence on this one. Not knowing any of the people mentioned in the article(s) personally, I don't even know if they exist. I know just enough to make me wonder whether it might be possible, and enough to make me doubt it, too.

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I don't believe it. However, as a stretch, I could see an egg getting stuck in the fluffy butt feathers and possibly hatching unseen.

9. Henny peeny

Henny peeny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    NC
    what if it was a oft egg I think you call it or one without a shell sorry can't think of the names but humor me please let's say for the sake of arguement it was one in which it has the membrain no shell and got stuck in the hen ok 21 days and bingo a chicken and how did it get out then well it could of crawled out I don'[t know of the interneal issues but humor me as I said or if it was a soft shell it hatchjed inside but how far is the question what is inside to you and what is inside to many may not be the same let's says as it hatched the egg was so close to the vent that the chicken just came out as for the hen it was most likely in MY OPINOIN that being in for so long killed her yes I say she was egg bound of course and the egg was closer to the vent so when the chicken came out it was out of the shell the tearng of the inside could be the gg shell or sometime else since I have not seen the hen I can't say. this make any sense?

Rhayden

10. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Erm, the indication to do an autopsy would have been the giving birth to a live chick? [​IMG]

The chick could have made its appearance the same way an egg does!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by