Eggless

mystified45

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2016
Monessen, Pennsylvania
I have three chickens and have been getting eggs for almost 2 years. They were young when I got them so they are about 2 or so years old. I have not had one egg since Winter hit back in November. I live in SW Pennsylvania.

My girls are Ameraucana and Cochin mix. They are small; not the huge Cochin . .I guess more on the size of bantam. They typically lay a large egg with a blue green to green egg shell.

Please . .anyone else eggless? I am not allowed to have a rooster . . so that option is out of the question!

When have their best egg production during their first two years, than production begins to fall off after that. Your mix isn't a very productive one to begin with. Unfortunately you will continue to get less and less eggs. Feeding a higher protein ration and limiting extras can help to optimize production.

My hens are now 4 years old. Last summer I GOT BARELY ANY EGGS AT ALL.
It really stunk. But now, in the dead of winter they are laying a steady trickle again! Also, having more pullets really helped. I figure they went through a (lengthy) period of time without egg laying, and started up another round. Of course, mine are all egg laying breeds, but as you said, you have Cochin mixes, so I bet those won't produce much if at all when they get up in age. Most of the 4 year old flock are slowly dying off, so we just keep replacing them. They are pets of course, so eating them is not an option.

Back
Top Bottom