Eggplant

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by PineappleMama, Sep 11, 2010.

1. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, so I've only ever tried eggplant once, it was my Memaws, and I didn't like it but since it was Mems was forced to eat a huge heaping portion... haven't gotten near an eggplant since, but I figure maybe my tastes have changed (I was just a kid) and maybe prepared another way I might like it.

So... anyone with a good recipe I could try? Mems was mostly cheese, and I donno what else, but it was too much goo. Any ideas appreciated. [​IMG]

2. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Grilled slices with a little olive oil drizzled over it.

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I posted a recipe on here somewhere for squash/eggplant hummus.

Here it is!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=382375

Eggplant is a sponge, and once you get used to the texture... it will soak up any flavor you want it to have. (Just don't try chocolate, you will be disappointed! LOL )

4. PineappleMama

Well, not an eggplant in sight at the FM, but I'll have this topic for when I do find some.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Honey, you're in TX - bread it and fry it!

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The only way I actually like it is peeled, floured and fried. It soaks up grease like crazy.

Second best is sort of eggplant parmigiana. Fry as above, serve over spaghetti with your regular tomato or spaghetti sauce, then melt mozzarella and Parmesan over the top.

7. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    slice lengthwise scoop out inside, but leave a good "shell"

chop up insides and saute with onion, garlic, peppers, in evoo. When done, add some worstichire sauce and then bread crumbs, put back into shell and top with cheese. Bake and serve.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:The trick to keeping it from absorbing the oil is to have the oil scary hot. As in, "have a fire extinguisher nearby" hot.

9. PineappleMama

I was thinking of maybe the italian way, I've heard of that at least... and we do love italian.

But that stuffed and baked sounds pretty tastey too.

I did have to stop for celery at Kroger and checked theirs... I don't know what a good eggplant looks like really but I'm thinking wrinkly skin isn't a good sign so I left them alone. Any tips on buying?? Were those okay?

Got an organic chicken, first time trying this seller's meat... they have chickens, tenders, and then organic angus too... $8 and from her description they're Buff Orps, processed between 10-18 months... so I'm making a big ol' pot of soup... hence needing the celery. Got some corn and a beautiful purple onion to thrown in with the carrots, garlic and pasta/rice at home. Tomorrow I'ma use the spinach and zucchini to make pasta... so could still do the eggplant thing... if I find any.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A good eggplant will have shiny, smooth skin. You were right, they wrinkles aren't good. Also they will have a milder, sweeter flavor when younger. If you go where they sell several varieties, almost any variety besides the standard big purple one will be milder.

Also, notice the flower end where there is a bit of a brownish scar. The ones with the smaller scars will have fewer seeds, and the seeds tend to add to the bitterness.

I actually prefer a variety called purple rain, I think, that has purple and white lengthwise irregular stripes. Plenty of that eggplant flavor but never bitter, and they grow like crazy -- a few plants and you will be giving them away. Might be a Burpee trademark variety, I forget.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by