eggport security on eglu cube

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wanda, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Wanda

Wanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I just recently purchased a used cube. I love it but I am wondering how secure the eggport is against something like a raccoon who is intelligent enough to turn the handle. Has anyone done anything to make it more secure. I was thinking in terms of something to go around the body of the cube, covering the eggport to secure it, sort of like that plastic tape they put around boxes that are shipped but that could be undone when you need excess to the eggport.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  2. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Do you have pictures? If we can see it, we can make suggestions on making it as secure as possible.

3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

I suppose this is what is being referred to, comes in a couple of run configurations but the 'Omlet' house is the same on all of this type, as best I know. I suspect the handle is recessed enough to protect it, but a redundant lock would not hurt anything.

[​IMG]

Best to all and your birds,

RJ

4. Wanda

Wanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    yes, that is what I was referring to and it is not recessed enough that a raccoon couldn't turn it and open it, IMO

5. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    That's cool - chicken coops have gone 21st century!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by