EGGS-A-POPPING!! WHY???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by d.k, May 22, 2008.

1. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*when Chook lays an egg, I put it in the fridge as soon as the bloom is dry. Lately the eggs are splitting open in the fridge lenghtwise from end to end after being refrigerated. WHY is this happening, any ideas?? Am I putting them in too warm or something?? It wasn't happening before. :|

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Do they appear to have a crack in them before you refridgerate them? Maybe candle them before hand to see if there is a hairline crack you can't see otherwise? Has the color of her eggs changed? How about her weight and or appearance?

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  3. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    It kind of sounds like they are getting frozen. Is it posible? If they freeze they will split open. I do not think how warm they are when you put them in will make any difference what so ever.

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Check the settings on your fridge. And is the place you are putting them where it freezes?
    The reason I ask is thet my "d"h got it into his head that the fridge needed to be colder now that it is warmer out. We lost some eggs, too. [​IMG]

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*My DH was thinking that they might be getting frozen, too-- but nothing else seems to show evidence of that. I keep the eggs on the top shelf in a plastic basket. Have lost at least half a dozen this week. I candled one b/f putting it in the fridge-- looked 'normal', but it was popped the next night. I'll put a thermometer in a see what temp. I get, I guess. Nothing's changed with Miss Chook except that I did add scotch oats to her scratch since it's supposed to be a good hot weather treat. Wonder if that could be it??

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd say they're getting frozen too.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    That's where mine were freezing. Top shelf in a plastic basket. I bet that's your problem area.

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* That's so strange b/c I heard that usually the top is the warmest part of a fridge since the cold sinks out when your opening it. I DID just clean that shelf and got rid of a lot, since we're to move soon. Think the freshly cracked ones would still be good for anything-- or should I not risk it?

9. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I would throw them out, myself. If they were clean and not leaking, you could probably get away with cooking them fully and eating them or feeding them to the hens(better yet!).

-Kim

10. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    Well you are probably not supposed to eat them, but whenever our eggs have frozen we have not worried about it and just eaten them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by