Eggs after babies and weird tiny egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bec, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

When the momma starts to lay again, does she start off with tiny pullet eggs again or does it go back to normal?

My momma hen takes the babies outside and is very active with them now instead of sitting around like she was when she was broody. I am just wondering if she will start laying soon?

I found the weirdest little egg today, it was slightly bigger than a large jelly bean and clear with no shell or yolk. Everyone in there has been laying the whole winter, so it was no one's first egg. What was it??

2. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    That is just what is called a 'wind' egg or a 'fart' egg. It is just something that can happen from time to time. Sort of like the egg factory made a mistake. [​IMG]

3. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Quote:Ha ha you said "fart egg" that is soooo funny!!![​IMG]

4. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    [​IMG]

5. Bec

Quote:So that is normal? lol I have seen little ones from pullets but not the big girls and not shell-less!

6. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    yep, totally normal. Sometimes the assembly line just has a little hiccup and you get a weird egg now and then. Just wait until you get one of the freaky giant eggs with 2 or 3 yolks in 1 shell!

7. Bec

[​IMG] Whoa!!!

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:She shouldnt start laying till she decides to no longer be brody, or till you decide to take the chicks away, then she should start laying shortly after either of those occur.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. You have a fart egg.

10. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Usually what happens is a piece of broken shell, yolk, or tissue finds its way in the oviduct and is treated as a normal yolk. So it's coated with albumen and shell membranes. If you crack it open, you won't find a yolk, but you may find foreign matter or tissue where the yolk should be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by