eggs all year...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by top of the hill, Jul 6, 2011.

1. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    This is sort of a silly question, but my husband and I would like eggs all year. Based on some reading I've been doing, that chickens moult when they are about a year, would it make sense for us to purchase new chicks in the fall to balance out our 6 pullets born in the spring? If so, do people actually sell chicks in the fall?

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    I believe you can order them in.....dont know if staggering them would help with egg production someone will answer it here for you and me I thought the same thing...Ive been told to give them a light in the winter to help with egg production good luck.

3. Billyj

Billyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    A lot of the production of eggs is based on sunlight. Production will slow down with all chickens once the days get shorter. Staggering is ok, but make sure them in time to grow up enough to start laying. But again it is based on the amount of sunlight.

4. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the responses. I was thinking of installing a light in the coop with a timer for that reason, wondering if that would help or just stress them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by