Eggs already?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rorie, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Rorie

Rorie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    We purchased eggs in May this year. Our chickens are doing well and are living out in their coop. We live in Scotland so daylight hours are pretty low just now - rise at 8am, set at 4pm. We were therefore expecting eggs some time next year as we are not providing any additional light for the chickens.

BUT, today we just found 3 eggs!! One was much smaller than the other two - perhaps this came from our chicken 'handicap' who i had to take out her shell. She is much smaller than the others and is lower to the ground, but she does fine.

So, is this normal to get eggs now? I thought they stopped laying all together at winter, but our girls are producing the goods!

I opened each egg. The small one had a hard shell. But all the eggs were of good colour and looked fine. Anything i need to check for with newly laying hens?

Thanks

2. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    Some chickens do lay eggs through the winter! and it's normal for new layers to lay small eggs.

3. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    We have fourteen layers in our hole flock, but we live in LA.

4. drpurl

drpurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I live in WI and my chickens were born May 1st. They get daylight from about 6am till 4:30pm right now and the temps droped way down. I am getting between 3-5 eggs per day. Today I only got 2 but that is very rare and I bet I will have 5 tomorrow.

5. Rorie

Rorie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Thanks for the replies folks :)

6. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    Goodnight everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by