Eggs and Antibiotics (My first post)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wrong chicken, Feb 14, 2014.

1. wrong chicken

wrong chicken New Egg

Feb 14, 2014
    Hi, this is my first post so please tell me if it is in the wrong place or anything!

Well, two of the hens suddenly started struggling to breathe so we took it to the vets and they gave us some antibiotics. Within the hour they were getting better, however today we contacted the vet and they told us that we could no longer eat ANY eggs from the hen (for life!)
    This was a bit annoying as they are both very good layers and fairly young birds. The vets did not even bother to tell us the effects of giving them the antibiotics and it's probably a good thing I did not eat the egg of one of them.
    I was just wondering if there is anything possible that enables us to eat the eggs from these two hens? We have many hens and it would be impossible to tell if any egg was theirs so they now have to be separated from the rest of the flock, this will be very awkward and they will be lonely [​IMG]
    It seems unfair the vet did not tell us the consequences but it may have kept the hens alive.
    This is my first post so thank you for taking your time to read it! All answers will be much appreachiated.[​IMG]

2. ThomasMcD

ThomasMcD Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Nebraska
    1 person likes this.
  3. wrong chicken

wrong chicken New Egg

Feb 14, 2014
    Thanks

4. x2 on what Thomas said.

But I believe there is at least 2 week withdrawal time if not longer, but never heard of never being able to eat the eggs after given antibiotics. I would not know what type of antibiotics the vet gave you!

Good luck on finding your answer from someone more knowledgeable than me.

And I wish to Welcome to BYC from Riverside California. [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

The eggs will be safe to eat after a period of egg withdrawal. Most antibiotics are 2 weeks to not eat the eggs. But a few are 3 weeks. What antibiotics are they on? After a couple weeks the antibiotics break down in the birds body and there is no longer any residual meds in them. So yes, you can go back to eating them!

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

6. wrong chicken

wrong chicken New Egg

Feb 14, 2014
    The antibiotic is baytril

i looked on the internet earlier and there are split decisions about if you should eat them or not

thanks for the welcome

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Baytril has a long withdrawal. 28 days. Lots of meds are listed as not for laying hens. This is very common. But eventually these meds break down in the body and it is perfectly safe to eat the meat or eggs. Manufactures have to tell you this in case you do eat the eggs. They tell you this for two reasons....in case you have a sensitivity to this drug, and so you are not getting tiny amounts of it so as to develop immunity. But after the egg withdrawal period, there are no traces of this drug in the body. I have given Baytril, as have many people here on BYC and we still eat our eggs and meat after the egg withdrawal period. :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. wrong chicken

wrong chicken New Egg

Feb 14, 2014
    Wow

great support everyone, thank you all so much!![​IMG]

I think after a month i will start eating them again

1 person likes this.
  9. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Good luck with your birds and in a month you can enjoy those eggs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by