Eggs and doms?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vjbakke, Aug 21, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    I have 2 doms that are 20 wks old, squatting, not laying yet. I know the website said 3 eggs per week. Does this hold true? I have 4 RSL that I have been getting just about one egg a day everyday. They have been laying for over 2 weeks now. I can't wait for the doms to start laying. Anyone have a pic of what doms comb and wattle look like when they are ready to lay?

2. joskt0204

joskt0204 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    east TN
    This is Tango, and everyone said she looks ready. We just had our first egg, like 20 minutes ago, and it was either her or Echo, the Black Australorpe. They are almost 22 weeks.

[​IMG]

3. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Very nice looking girls! Looks just like my Dom Cookie. She has been finally squatting starting last week. I am expecting eggs this week or next!

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I have 3 Doms that waited until week 26 to lay. And I only get an average of one egg a day out of 3 chickens, so each chicken lays what, every 3 days? I'm fairly disappointed because local folks kept telling me that they are great layers but I've not seen the best results...

Definitely planning to invest in either RIR pullets or BR pullets next spring as I already have one of each of those and they lay circles around the Doms. The best layer of all I have though is a real shocker: a bantam cochin! She has missed a total of 3 days laying this entire month so far! (yes I am a geek who keeps a "laying log" of who lays daily and I know each bird's egg by its specific color/size as I have caught each and every one in the nest box at some point in time and I have a variety of different breeds separated by different pens/coops)

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

I have 3 Doms that waited until week 26 to lay. And I only get an average of one egg a day out of 3 chickens, so each chicken lays what, every 3 days? I'm fairly disappointed because local folks kept telling me that they are great layers but I've not seen the best results...

Definitely planning to invest in either RIR pullets or BR pullets next spring as I already have one of each of those and they lay circles around the Doms. The best layer of all I have though is a real shocker: a bantam cochin! She has missed a total of 3 days laying this entire month so far! (yes I am a geek who keeps a "laying log" of who lays daily and I know each bird's egg by its specific color/size as I have caught each and every one in the nest box at some point in time and I have a variety of different breeds separated by different pens/coops)

Doms very greatly in respect to egg production. Do you have other hens / pullets of similar age for comparison?​

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Yes, I have a RIR pullet, a cochin pullet, a silkie pullet, and an andalusian pullet and all of those mentioned out-lay my doms and all are relatively the same age. [​IMG]

7. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    Here's my Dom at 21 weeks, no eggs, but she is checking out the hen house and hangs with the "ladies" during the morning hen party. I keep asking her when she's ready, but still no answer:p[​IMG]

8. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    Looking at other pics, is my Matilda a Dom? She doesn't look like the other pic posted on this thread.

[​IMG]

9. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Ceeceeholt, I don't think that's a dom. That looks like a slw to me. Granted, I am no expert, but those are most definatly not dom markings.

10. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    [​IMG] [/img]

That is a dominique roo and pullet. They have the barred markings, but not the laced.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by