eggs and incubators

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Mar 2, 2012.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Yesterday, our lead preschool teacher mentioned to me she'd like to hatch some eggs in our class (or her class, not sure witch). My ducks are both girls, so no fertilized eggs.

Incubators - I will check with parents today to see if anybody has access to an incubator. If not, lead teacher if confident we can do our own.
    So does anybody have good links for me on building our own and making a homemade one work well if we can't get access to a real one from a preschool family? And links for what we need to do during incubation along the way to get good results?
    Thanks!

We also need to check with the families to see if anybody will want any of the ducklings as well before starting on this project.

If I'm hatching eggs at school, they will likely be runners, but we'll see :)

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I suggest you contact you county extension agent, in the phone book under county government. It is highly likely they will know where you can get fertile eggs, probably an incubator, maybe a lesson plan for hatching eggs, and maybe even an expert to help you, though this last one may be a stretch. Some agents are a lot better than others.

And I strongly applaud you for thinking ahead like this.

We also need to check with the families to see if anybody will want any of the ducklings as well before starting on this project.

3. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Here is the link I have for an inexpensive homemade single use incubator: http://www.ehow.com/how_6768714_make-egg-incubator-scratch.html

I have heard of these doing the job fairly well, but the grade of styrofoam used for the coolers does not lend it well to being cleaned thoroughly after one use, so it should not be used again.

4. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I can figure out eggs easy enough. I'll check out homemade versions of incubators this weekend.

I sent our Director a letter to post for the parents about an incubator and homes for ducklings and provided BYC as a good source of info if they were interested in checking out duck stuff.

5. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Ok, incubator has been taken care of - teacher will be purchasing one for her own use in the future as she'd like to start with some chickens and maybe ducks and then incubate some of her own eggs.

So now we have interest in both chicken and duck eggs...
    Can both be done at the same time? Chickens hatch earlier than the ducks, so will we be able to get the chicks out before we have to lock down for ducks, or are the temp/humidity requirements too different to incubate together?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by