eggs and moulting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ejctm, Aug 6, 2010.

1. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    I apologise if others have asked this same question before...

My hens are going through a moult mid-summer and only one is laying at the moment. One is broody and I don't know if it is the same hen as the laying hen. Anyway, egg production has fallen drastically. Is this normal during moulting, and is it normal to moult in the middle of summer? Last moult was December last year in the middle of snow and severe cold (I had to tuck them up real warm in the coop at night the poor things). The winter moult was like each hen lost every feather on her body, just not all at the same time, and they were really bald in a lot of places.

This summer moult is only partial as they are replacing main wing and tail feathers, plus chest, but not back, head or sides.

Some of the eggs being laid currently are a touch funky. Like the ones when the hens first started laying. Some huge, some mis-shapen with ridges, thick parts of the shell in some places, and yesterday a completely soft shelled egg which dropped out onto the grass, not even laid properly. They have free access to oyster shell. Is this just normal and they get past it when they finish moulting, or should I be worried?

Is there anything I can supplement them with to get them over it quicker? I have poultry spice so might start adding this from tomorrow, just thought of it.

Edited to add: don't be fooled by my avatar, this post is about chickens!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
  3. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    That article is really interesting, I am going outside now to look at their wing feathers!

I also found 5 very dirty eggs hidden in the top of a pot plant today, so some of the hens are still laying, even if not the same amount as before. I think the broody is not letting the others get near the nesting boxes in the coop, so they had to find somewhere else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by