Eggs and my dog?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by yankee, Dec 20, 2007.

1. yankee

yankee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2007
    A friend of mine told me that he used to put a raw egg on his dog's food every morning. Are the risks of eating raw egg the same for dogs as for humans. In addition, what is everyone's opinion of eating raw eggs. And are the risks greater with my eggs, or the ones that are store bought.

2. yankee

Feb 21, 2007
    By the way, I gave my dog her first egg today on her food, she loved every lick of it!!!!!!!

3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I know a few breeders that use raw egg. Personally I don't but I wouldn't feel bad about using fresh chicken eggs from my hens, I would feel safe to do so...I just don't know about every day though...maybe once or twice a week.

4. newchickowner

newchickowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    Once and a while I'll find a cracked egg and I toss it to the dogs, they love it. I think it's good for their coats. I think I heard that a very long time ago, so the info could be completely wrong. Guess I'll do some research to find out for sure.

5. yankee

Feb 21, 2007
    I'm not a breeder, I just got a cute little rescued dog. I don't even know what breed she is. I'm just looking to make her happy.

6. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Our border collie gets a fresh egg almost every day and it has made his coat super shiny and his belly very happy! [​IMG]

7. Galaxie_Man

Galaxie_Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Our dogs are fed a raw diet of turkey and chicken necks, bone and all. Two things...1). they are not susceptible to salmonella like we are, and 2). they completely digest raw uncooked chicken bones. It is after the enzymes are cooked out of the bones that they become brittle and dangerous. Another benefit of raw diet, their poo turns to white powder with nothing to pick up after a couple of days due to the complete digestion of the food, as opposed to processed dog food that doesn't completely digest, hence the big brown land mines in the yard.

PS: My wife is a veterinary technician, so I learn things by osmosis.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  8. ORChick

ORChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Oregon
    I don't know right off hand what the numbers are, but from what I have read the chances of getting salmonella from any one egg, home produced, or commercial, is really, really small. That being the case, I make sure I buy organic or free range eggs (don't have my own chickens yet), and don't use them raw very often. But then when I want mayonnaise or the like I don't obsess about it.

9. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Hey Galaxie Man, thats a good way to learn, wish that would work on my DH.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:I knew dogs weren't susceptable to various food poisons like we are. My wife
    was just yelling at me because I fed our dogs week old linguini & clam sauce and
    I used the "Not susceptable" defense. I didn't know about the raw chicken bone
    thing. That makes perfect sense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by